Literally all that you can find in this one-plate meal. If I were to re-create a dish for Chinese New Year, I think this homely dish is sure to bring joy as the pumpkin sauce accompanied with the fresh shrimps and spinach are commonly found ingredients that most of us will stock up during the Lunar New Year. In addition, the colour of the dish is bright and delicious looking enough to make one salivate.
A little more than usual steps to create this dish as the pumpkin and tofu has to be managed separately before they can be used in the cooking, but otherwise all is smooth as breeze once the actual cooking begins. Do bookmark this recipe as it is highly recommended if you love pumpkin !
Egg Tofu with Spinach & Shrimps in Pumpkin SauceCourse: MainCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Medium
1 egg tofu, cut into 8 equal pieces
1 pack of Chinese Spinach, cut into sections and discard the stems
1 pack brown beech mushrooms
120g pumpkin, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Pinch of pepper
Some cooking oil
- For Sauce Thickening (mixed together) :
2 tsp corn flour
1 tbsp water
- Heat up some cooking oil and fry tofu until golden brown. Set aside on paper towels to remove excess oils.
- Steam pumpkin until soft. Mash it finely with a fork.
- Heat up some water and blanch the shrimps till cooked. Remove and set aside. Using the same water, blanch spinach till they soften. Drain and squeeze out excess water from the spinach and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of cooking oil and saute garlic and ginger till fragrant. Add mushrooms and stir fry till they are softened.
- Add mashed pumpkin, water and rest of the seasoning. Stir to mix well and cook till it boils.
- Add spinach and tofu. Allow it to boil again before adding sauce thickening.
- Once pumpkin sauce starts to thicken, add shrimps and off flame. Serve hot immediately to enjoy !