Came up with this special sauce that pairs on deliciously with beansprouts and rice and made complete with a sunny side egg as a one-dish meal for one. The sauce was a mild spicy as it is cooked with dried chilies and spicy bean paste. And realized that I did not thicken the sauce this time with any starch solution as the chicken was marinated with corn flour already and hence after cooking the chicken in the sauce, the texture of the sauce was just nice to spread on with rice.
It’s quite a trial and error process that I manage to get the right amount of savories for this special sauce and something which I really liked but has never had it elsewhere before. The addition of beansprouts also help to bring out taste of the dish and it will be good to cook up a larger serving for guests serving in future too !
Chicken and Beansprouts in Special Sauce Rice 酱爆鸡丁豆芽饭Course: MainCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
250g boneless chicken leg, cubed
4 tbsp cooking oil
4 dried chilies, cut into halves
1 tsp minced garlic
A handful of green spring onions
- Chicken Marinade (marinate for 1 hour) :
1 tbsp light soya sauce
2 tsp corn flour
Pinch of pepper
- For the Sauce (combine all together) :
2 tsp spicy bean sauce
2 tsp tomato sauce
2 tsp sweet soya sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp light soya sauce
1 tsp Chinese cooking wine
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp water
- Heat up cooking oil and pan fried chicken cubes till browned. Drain to remove excess oils and set aside.
- Reserve 1 1/2 tbsp cooking oil in the pan and stir fry dried chilies and garlics together.
- Add in the sauce and cook till it boils.
- Add in the chicken and beansprouts and stir fry on high heat for 2 mins to mix well.
- Add in green parts of spring onions and off heat. Stir fry briefly till the spring onions withered. Once done, remove and serve hot with rice and/or sunny side egg to enjoy !