One of my favourite kinds of Chinese homecooked is a Stewed Chicken. Today I had it stewed with 3 different kinds of onions – shallots, yellow onion and spring onions. The chicken and the sauce is very fragrant and it’s the kind of dish where you can easily polish up your rice with. I even had extra of it freeze up so that it can be easily re-heated or microwave on busy days to enjoy.
After stewing in the sauce, the onions become very tasty as it absorbs all the flavours from the seasoning. It’s a simple Chinese homecooked that does not require a lot of efforts and will be able to be enjoyed by everyone in the family. The chili is pretty optional and can be eliminated if you are cooking a kids-friendly version.
Tri-Onions Stewed Chicken 三葱鸡翼Course: MainCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
10 pcs chicken mid-joints
5 sprigs of spring onions
1 small yellow onion, sliced
4 shallots, sliced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 red chili, diced (optional)
2 tbsp cooking oil
3 tbsp of chicken stock (from blanching the chicken)
- Seasoning :
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 1/2 tbsp light soya sauce
2 tsp dark soya sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine 花雕酒
Pinch of pepper
- Poke holes all over chicken and blanched them in boiling water. Drain and retain the chicken stock.
- Heat up cooking oil and minced garlic with white parts of spring onion till fragrant.
- Add in the rest of the onions and chili along with 3 tbsp of the chicken stock. Stir fry till the onions are softened.
- Add in the chicken and seasoning and mix well.
- Add in water and allow the chicken to simmer till it boils. Lower heat and cover pot before continue simmering for another 20 mins. Turn the chicken halfway to ensure evenly browned.
- Add in green parts of spring onion and stir fry briefly till they withered. Once done, remove from heat and serve hot immediately to enjoy !