Trying out a new variation of fried rice and this was really good ! I blended my own chili paste which is quite the essence for this dish and added long beans and kang kong vegetables which traditionally should be included as well and I was pleasantly surprised at the turnout. The fried rice was very tasty and though the chili paste might seem spicy at a glance but after frying with the rice, it turns out to be very moderate spicy and was very delicious.
Initially I was still a a bit skeptical at the addition of the water spinach aka kang kong to a fried rice but as it turns out to be really acceptable and blended very well into the rice. This dish is very economical too as long beans and kang kong vegetables are two of the cheapest vegetables in the market now and whilst retaining its nutritional value, this one-plate meal satisfies the palate well and is definitely wallet friendly too considering how high the inflation have impacted our daily groceries nowadays.
Kampung Fried Rice 甘榜炒饭Course: MainCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
- For the Chili Paste :
2 tsp minced garlic
1 red chili
1 chili padi
1 tbsp ikan bilis
1 tbsp cooking oil
- For the Fried Rice :
2 bowls of cooked rice
4 tbsp cooking oil
2 strings of long beans, diced
A handful of Kang Kong vegetables, leafy parts only
2 eggs, lightly beaten
A handful of ikan bilis
2 tsp minced garlic
2 1/2 tbsp chili paste (from above recipe)
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp (sweet) Kecap Manis
1/2 tsp sugar
Pinch of pepper
- Blend all the ingredients for the chili paste till paste-liked texture and set aside.
- Heat up cooking oil and fried ikan bilis and shallots till golden brown. Drain and set aside.
- Reserve 2 tbsp of cooking oil in the wok and add minced garlic, long beans and chili paste. Stir fry till fragrant.
- Add in cooked rice and stir fry on high heat. Add in rest of the seasonings and toss fried rice to mix well.
- Push the rice to one side of the wok and add in beaten eggs. Scrambled the eggs and mix well with the rice.
- Lastly add in Kang Kong vegetables and stir fry quickly till the vegetables withered. Remove from heat and top the Kampung fried rice with fried ikan bilis before serving to enjoy !