The kind of one-dish meal I can easily polish up a bowl of rice with ! This Broccoli and Pork Slices in Black Bean Sauce is a typical Chinese home-cooked dish that’s absolutely delicious and satisfying. Replace the pork slices with chicken if you’re unable to take pork which will be equally tasty too as the gist of this dish lies in the savoury black bean sauce more than anything else.
I used dry black beans for this and crushed them to bring out the flavors prior to cooking instead of using the bottled black bean paste. For one reason, it’s cheaper to just buy the black beans by itself rather than a whole bottle of the paste if you are not going to use it often. For second reason, you can better moderate how savoury you want the sauce to be in this way according to one’s preferences.
This recipe is a sure keeper because it’s super easy to prepare and perfectly ideal for a quick meal option. Do eliminate the chili if you are cooking for the kids though !
Broccoli and Pork Slices in Black Bean SauceCourse: MainCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
1 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp minced ginger
2 tsp dried fermented black beans, lightly crushed
1 tsp salted soy bean paste
1 small chilli padi, diced
A handful of yellow capsicum, diced
1 small broccoli, cut into florets
160g of pork collar, sliced (can be replaced with chicken)
- Seasoning :
2 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp light soya sauce
1 tsp dark soya sauce
1 3/4 tsp sugar
Pinch of pepper
- Sauce thickening :
2 tsp corn flour + 2 tbsp water
- Blanch broccoli florets in boiling water with few drops of oil (You may also steam them if u prefer). Drain and set aside.
- Heat up cooking oil and saute garlics, ginger and fermented black beans till fragrant.
- Add capsicums and chili and stir fry briefly.
- Add in pork slices and stir fry till they are no longer pinkish.
- Add all seasoning and cook till it boils before thickening with corn flour solution.
- Once the sauce starts to thicken, add in broccoli and mix well. Allow to simmer for another 3-4 mins before removing from heat. Serve hot immediately with rice to enjoy !