Prepped this as a non-beef version and it tastes really good ! The soup has a tangy sourish-ness from the tomatoes, savouriness from the seasoning and sweetness from the vegetables, a healthy and delicious all-in-one soup. And to top if off, I added macaroni for that extra carbo. If you are intending to prep this as a vegetarian version, replace the chicken soup with that of a vegetables soup and it will be even more wholesome.
Macaroni in Borscht Soup 通心粉罗宋汤Course: MainCuisine: Chinese
250ml chicken stock
350ml water + more for topping up
1 small carrot, diced
1 potato, diced
1/2 onion, diced
3 sticks of celery, diced
2 tomatoes, cut into quarters
4 leaves of cabbage, sliced thinly
1 tsp minced garlic
3 pcs bay leaves
2 tbsp tomato paste
Some freshly grind sea salt and black pepper
- Combine the chicken stock with 350ml water and cook the tomatoes till softened. Drain the tomatoes and allow them to cool slightly before peeling off the skin.
- Add onions, celery, carrots and de-skinned tomatoes into the soup again along with the bay leaves and minced garlic.
- Top up with more water if it’s evaporating too fast. Allow it to cook again before adding cabbage.
- Cook till the cabbage has withered and turn soft before adding the potatoes. Add in tomato paste, sea salt and grind black pepper and adjust according to taste.
- At the same time, boil some water in another pot and cook macaroni till done. Drain macaroni and set aside in a bowl.
- After the potatoes for the borscht soup has turned soft but not meshy, remove from heat.
- Add the soup over the macaroni and enjoy !