A delicious dish made up of steamed egg with egg tofu before drizzling with braised minced meat in a savoury sauce ! Just this dish alone is enough to whet up anyone’s appetite accompanied simply with a bowl of rice. The gist of a smooth and silky steamed egg is to make sure the egg mixture is filtered through a sieve several times to get rid of the air bubbles and egg white membrane before covering it with a heat-proof wrap to prevent steam droplets from falling onto it and lastly steaming it on a medium-low heat.
The addition of the tofu to the steamed egg this time gives it a more tender texture as well. Noticed that I never add any extra seasoning to the steamed egg this time because I prepped more of the braised sauce to coat the entire steamed egg such that every spoonful of it will get you the sauce which essentially make up for any seasoning required.
My tummy is growling as I am penning down this recipe and salivating at the pictures. Happy TGIF eve !!
Steamed Egg with Tofu and Braised Minced MeatCourse: MainCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
2 eggs, beaten + 200ml water
2 tubes egg tofu, sliced
80g minced meat
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
100ml water + 2 tbsp water
Some spring onion, diced
- For the Minced Meat Marinate (marinate for at least 2 hrs) :
2 tsp light soya sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp corn flour
Pinch of pepper
- For the Sauce :
2 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp spicy bean paste
1/2 tsp dark soya sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
- For the Sauce Thickening (combine together):
1 1/2 tsp corn flour
2 tbsp water
- Combine beaten egg with water and run through a sieve several times to remove the egg membrane and air bubbles.
- Stack sliced egg tofu in steaming plate and pour the egg mixture over.
- Cover with heat proof cling wrap and poke holes over the wrap. Steam on medium heat for approximately 15 mins or until done when the steamed egg-tofu mixture is no longer watery.
- In another pan, add cooking oil and stir fry garlic until fragrant. Add in marinated minced meat and stir fry till no longer pinkish. If it starts to get too dry, add in 2 tbsp water.
- Add in seasoning sauce and stir fry to mix well. Add in water and cook till it boils.
- Add in sauce thickening and allow to cook on high heat till sauce thickens.
- Once done, remove from heat and drizzle over the steamed egg-tofu. Garnish with spring onion and served hot immediately to enjoy !