Now that most of us have started to return back to office for work, such one-pot meals cooked conveniently vis the rice cooker definitely made cooking over the weekdays more convenient and fuss free. Usually I prefer to pre-cook the aromatics separately first to bring out the flavours before stirring in the rice to let the rice cooker finish up the job. You can prepare everything quickly in 15 minutes once you reach home from work. And when the rice is cooking in the rice cooker, you can perhaps take a shower or do some cleaning up and once you are done, the rice would be readily done up piping hot in the rice cooker for you to enjoy.
The Sesame Oil Chicken & Mushroom Rice is very very fragrant and the aroma of it is clearly visible even when the cooking was done vis the rice cooker. Every bit of the rice is packed with the fragrance of the sesame oil and the chicken with the mushrooms all complement it well to pack it as a one bowl meal. Even the cleaning up is a breeze as there’s only the rice cooker to be washed thereafter.
Sharing this awesome recipe here and hope you enjoy it as much as I do too. More one-bowl, one-plate and one-pot meals to come !
Sesame Oil Chicken & Mushroom RiceCourse: MainCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
300g boneless chicken
4 dry shitake mushrooms, rinse and soak in water overnight and retain 230ml mushroom water
1 cup rice, rinsed and drained
2 tsp cooking oil
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp minced garlic
15 slices ginger
1 tbsp light soya sauce
2 tbsp cooking wine
Some diced scallions
- For the Chicken Marinate :
1 tsp salt
Few pinches of pepper
- Marinate chicken, cover and set aside in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (can be prepared the night before.
- Heat up cooking oil and saute garlics until fragrant. Add in washed rice and stir fry briefly and add to rice cooker.
- Heat up sesame oil and saute ginger slices until aromatic.
- Add in diced chicken and stir fry briefly. Add in light soya sauce and cooking wine. Stir fry till chicken no longer pinkish.
- Add chicken to rice in rice cooker together with the mushrooms.
- Combine the sauce from cooking the chicken with the mushroom water, all should add up to approx. 1 cup (250ml) of liquid.
- Add the liquid to the rice and chicken in rice cooker and cook on normal mode till done.
- Fluff up rice and add diced scallions and mix well. Serve hot immediately to enjoy !