Unlike the usual spinach tofu where you have the spinach as a different layer on top of the tofu, I actually blend the spinach to create juice in this recipe and incorporate them into the egg tofu making itself hence the green color tofu as they are seen. This is probably a more comprehensive way of incorporating the entire spinach into the tofu making and gives the dish a little more vibes than then usual spinach tofu.
What’s more, the sweetness from the spinach can be channeled directly into the tofu itself but yet it doesn’t feel like you are having the greens itself. For those who steer clear of green vegetables, this is probably a good way for you to enjoy your greens without too much effort too.
I pan-fried the tofu thereafter to give it a little crisp and even enjoyed it as a dish just like that by itself. It’s absolutely healthy and delicious, so why not. But if you find it a little too plain to be eaten that way, you can stir-fry it with some oyster sauce and mushrooms to make it a complete dish all together !
Spinach Egg TofuCourse: MainCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
1 pack of spinach 100g
Enough soya milk (no sugar only) to make up slightly more than 550ml of liquid
2 tsp corn flour
1 tsp salt
- Blend spinach with water to make spinach juice. Combine spinach juice with enough soya milk to make up slightly more than 550ml of liquid.
- Add salt and corn flour to eggs and beat them well.
- Add the spinach and soya milk mixture into the eggs and stir to mix them well together.
- Run the liquid mixture through a sieve twice and squeeze the excess liquid from the spinach.
- Line a steaming tray (I used a 6 inch square tin) with baking paper and brush some oil all over it.
- Pour the spinach tofu mixture into tin and steam on medium heat for approximately 20-25mins. Cover the steaming wok with a piece of cloth to prevent water droplets from falling onto the tofu mixture.
- Once done, remove and allow to cool completely before slicing.
- Heat up some oil to pan fry the tofu on both sides till lightly brown. Drain on paper towels to remove excess oil and serve hot immediately to enjoy !