Cooking up this dish requires a little more effort than usual because I had the soup stock prepped up from scratch using vegetables and chicken. But nevertheless it’s a rich and collagen packed hearty soup infused with flavors from the fish maw with the addition of diced crabmeat to enhance the sweetness of it all.
And though a bit early for now, this makes a really good festive dish for the Chinese New Year especially when you realize this soup is going to be costly if you are having it at the restaurants. But it will only cost you a fraction of the price if you had it homecooked with all natural ingredients. Loved the color of the dish and to make it healthier, I also added a fair amount of vegetables such as carrots, mushrooms and garlic chives.
Hope this flavorful and delicious homecooked soup will excite you as much as I do !
Fish Maw & Crabmeat Thick SoupCourse: MainCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
- For the chicken stock :
2 chicken carcass
500g chicken feet
1 bunch celery
3 bunches scallions, white parts only
10 slices ginger
- For the Fish Maw & Crabmeat Soup :
25g fried/baked fish maw, softened
How to prepare fish maw for Cooking:
1) Soak fish maw in water till softened.
2) Cut them into rings/slices.
3) Blanch them in boiling water with some ginger slices and a dash of huatiao wine.
1 carrot, shredded
5 dry mushrooms, soak in water till softened, sliced & retain mushroom water
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp minced garlic
3-4 pcs sliced ginger
400ml chicken stock
200ml mushroom water
4 pcs garlic chives
1 tsp sesame oil
Pinch of salt & pepper
- For Soup Thickening:
2 tsp corn flour+2 tbsp water
- To cook chicken stock, cook on low simmer for 4-5 hours over gas stove without covering pot. Filter away all the ingredients & skim away the oils on the surface to get a clear soup base.
- Heat up 1 tbsp of oil in pot & saute garlics, ginger & mushrooms until fragrant.
- Add chicken stock and mushroom water followed by the fish maw. Cook for approx. 10 minutes.
- Add water and seasoning and cook for a further 3 mins.
- Add the shredded carrots, garlic chives and crabmeat.
- Add thickening solution. When soup thickened slightly, off flame.
- Garnish as desired & serve hot immediately to enjoy !