Tried my hands on these Stuffed Red Bean Pumpkin Pancakes from scratch, including the red bean paste and I must say they are really good ! Especially the homemade red bean paste is a far cry from the store bought paste as you can alter the sweetness of it to your liking plus it’s packed with such an aromatic red-beany taste that you probably can’t get from the instant ones.
Though it might seem tedious to prepare them but once you get yourself down to doing it, they are not as tough as you would imagine. In fact, it was quite a breeze if you can prepare them sequentially by steps.
The end result boosts of a thin and chewy pumpkin skin that houses a tastefully sweet red bean filling and it makes a great tea time companion with a pot of warmly brewed tea. The extra red bean paste can be freeze up to be used as filling for your breads, buns or even mooncakes !
Stuffed Red Bean Pumpkin Pancakes 南瓜红豆馅饼Course: DessertCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Medium
Makes approximately 12 pcs with leftover red bean paste.
200g pumpkin, cut into small chunks
140-150g Glutinous rice flour
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Some cooking oil
Some white and black sesame seeds
- Red Bean Paste :
200g red beans
5 tbsp cooking oil
- Add water to red beans and cook until they are softened and can be easily poke through with chopstick. Add the softened red beans and the leftover red bean water with more water (if necessary) to blender and blend till fine.
- Heat up cooking oil in pan and add red bean paste. Keep stirring on medium-low heat to prevent it from burning.
- Add sugar and continue to stir.
- Use a wooden spoon to scoop up the red bean paste and if it does not fall off, the paste is ready.
- Off heat and allow to cool. Roll them into balls of 15g each.
- Steam pumpkin with 1 tsp sugar until soft. Use potato masher and mash it finely.
- Add sifted flours and salt and mix well into a pliable dough.
- Roll the pumpkin dough into 30g balls each. Flatten and stuff a red bean paste ball. Wrap and flatten to resemble small pancakes. Continue until all the dough are used up.
- Heat up some cooking oil and panfry the Red Bean and Pumpkin Pancakes until lightly brown on both sides. Drain excess oils on paper towels.
- Garnish pancakes with sesame seeds before serving and enjoy !