Can never resist any and all things salted egg yolks ! So here’s another one to whet the appetite further ! Fried tofu coated in a creamy and savoury salted egg yolk sauce that’s easily whipped up by a mix of custard sauce, curry leaves, chilli padis and not forgetting the most crucial salted egg yolks !
If you are just looking for the salted egg yolks without the whites, you can find them from the frozen section of local Sheng Shiong Supermarkets where they are being sold in a tray of 10 which I find it really useful to use in such salted egg yolk dishes as the egg whites are generally not required.
I used egg tofu for this recipe as I find that they tend to complement the salted egg yolk sauce better with the eggy-ness and soft tofu texture. The most time consuming part will be the deep frying of the tofu, otherwise the rest of the cooking is literally fuss-free and straight forward. Hope you will enjoy this dish too !
Creamy Salted Egg Yolk Tofu 咸蛋奶黄豆腐Course: MainCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
3 salted egg yolks, steamed and mashed
Some cooking oil
3 heaping tsp corn flour
1 tube egg tofu
2 tbsp instant custard powder mixed with 5-6 tbsp water to make a smooth flowing custard
3 sprigs curry leaves
1 chilli padi, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
- Coat the egg tofu lightly with corn flour all over.
- Heat up cooking oil and panfry them till golden brown. Set aside on paper towels to drain away excess oil.
- In another pan, add 1 tbsp cooking oil and saute garlics curry leaves and chillis till fragrant.
- Add in steamed and mashed salted egg yolks. Stir fry on high heat till the salted egg yolks sizzles and bubbles.
- Add in the custard mixture and stir to mix well. Add in salt and sugar.
- Once it cooks, off the heat and add the fried tofu from Step 1. Stir to coat the sauce evenly all over tofu and serve hot immediately to enjoy !