Hello all ! It’s been sometime since I last made any pastries of any sorts, so here’s one to keep the ball rolling again. And this time is a typical Chinese Dim Sum choice – the Char Siew Pastry which boosts of a crisp and flaky skin along with a sweet and luscious char siew filling. As with all other pastries, quite a fair bit of effort involved there but the end results is certainly rewarding.
To keep things simplified for easy starters, we used ready char siew for this but prepared the sauce for the filling and dough skin from scratch. In addition, we make do with a square shaped pastry this time as it’s the easiest shape to begin with and comes with minimal wastage.
It tastes as exact replicas of what we had from Dim Sum restaurants and after going through the process, it certainly seem to be less daunting as what’s originally perceived. Sharing the details here to keep a record of it and hopefully benefit anyone who will be keen to give this a shot !
Char Siew Pastry 叉烧酥Course: AppetizersCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Medium
Makes approx 12 pcs of square shaped pastries.
- For the Char Siew Filling :
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp dark soya sauce
1 tsp light soya sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
3 tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt & pepper
8 shallots, diced
200g Char Siew, diced
- For the Sauce Thickening :
3 tsp corn flour + 3 tbsp water
- For Shortening Dough :
120g plain flour, sifted
- For Flaky Dough :
140g self raising flour, sifted
25g custard powder
30g icing sugar
1 egg yolk
- Others :
Beaten egg (egg wash)
Sesame seeds (for topping)
- Heat up oil to saute shallots till fragrant. Add in rest of seasoning except Char Siew & cook till it boils.
- Add in thickening & allow sauce to cook till thicken.
- Remove from heat & allow to cool before adding Char Siew. Cover & set aside in freezer.
- On a floured worktop, rub butter & shortening into flour using fingers before combining all into shortening dough.
- Prepare Flaky dough by combining all ingredients except water & rub shortening into flour before slowly adding water to form a dough.
- Roll out Flaky dough flat & place shortening dough in the middle. Flatten Shortening dough slightly to adhere.
- Wrap up the Flaky dough. Flatten it out again by rolling it flat. Then roll it up like a Swiss-Roll, turn it 90 degrees before rolling it flat out again. Repeat this for 3 times.
- Roll it out flat for last time. Cut away uneven edges & divide into squares.
- Add semi-frozen Char Siew filling into one square and top up with another square dough. Use fork to seal the edges.
- Egg wash the pastry and top with sesame seeds.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 180degrees for 15mins.