This is the most recent recipe shared over at Instagram ! Usually my blog posts are kind of back-dated but since this is a really awesome recipe, so I thought I should give it priority to be shared here soonest possible. And so here it comes ! The family members enjoy this Otah-Otah so much that they requested me to make more and even come out with more flavors to sell.
Good things are meant to be shared and good recipes all the more so. Loved this Otah-Otah that comes with a good bout of aromatics and spice and the texture stays moist and tender whether it is re-heated for the steamer or grill.
It’s actually not as difficult to make as well and pretty much a breeze once you pass the preparation stage. So hope this recipe will excite you as much as I do !
Otah OtahCourse: SnacksDifficulty: Medium
Makes approximately 10 pcs large Otah
150g fresh prawns, diced
200g fresh mackerel fish paste
10 peeled garlics
1 lemongrass, remove outer layer & diced finely
5 chillies, diced
10 lime leaves, minced
3 slices blue ginger
4-5 ginger slices
4 tbsp coconut milk
2 tbsp water
A little cooking oil, to oil banana leaf
Some Banana leaves, cut into 20x20cm
- For the Seasoning:
1 tsp sambal chilli
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp corn flour
1 tsp curry powder
1 egg white
1 tsp salt
- Boil some water and blanch the banana leaves. (This helps to soften banana leaves so that they don’t tear up easily during wrapping and also a way of sterilization too.) Wipe dry and set aside.
- Blend prawns & fish paste together to form a fine paste. Set aside.
- Combine shallots, garlics, lemongrass, chillies, lime leaves and gingers together in the blender. Add coconut milk and water and blend into a fine paste.
- Combine chilli paste with the fish and prawn mixture and stir to mix them well together.
- Add the rest of the seasoning ingredients & continue to mix well until a thick & smooth paste is formed.
- Brush a little oil & add 2 tbsp of Otah paste onto the center of the banana leaves.
- Fold the sides & use toothpicks to secure the ends.
- Grill them in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees by placing the wrapped Otah side by side on the grilling rack for 15 minutes. Leave a tray at the bottom to catch any residue.
- Halfway through the grilling time, flip the Otah to continue grilling on the reverse side. Once done, carefully remove toothpicks & enjoy the freshly grilled homemade Otah !