Once in a while, I liked to go vegan ! And making it a point to do it once or twice in a month if I can. And this time with a vegan styled char kway teow. It was quite delicious though even without the eggs, meat or pork lard. A different kind of delicious, I would say. I dunked it wholesomely with fried tofu, lots of beansprouts and green vegetables and served it with some diced chilies padi at the end of it.
The cooking of the dish itself was quite speedy. The only time consuming part was panfrying the tofu till golden brown as we all know that tofu has a high water content and to fry them till they are crispy on the edges will take sometime. So what I did ideally was to dice them in smaller cubes as shown so that it will take a much shorter time to do that. Alternatively, you can also replace this step by using ready tofu puffs or beancurd puffs. And if you do have other vegan ingredients such as vegetarian fish cakes, you can also add them to this dish to liven it up more.
While I enjoyed this dish on its own and being able to tell myself that I am going vegan for that day with this meal, somehow it makes one feel less sinful too. So here’s to sharing this recipe which I hope will liven you up too !
Vegan Styled Char Kway Teow (Stir Fry Flat Noodles)Course: MainCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
1/2 block of tofu, diced
120g yellow noodles
120g kway teow (flat rice noodles)
1 tbsp minced garlic
Some green vegetables
Some cooking oil
- Seasoning (adjust according to own preferences) :
1 1/2-2 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soya sauce)
1 – 1 1/2 tbsp light soya sauce
2 tsp dark soya sauce
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1-2 tbsp water
Pinch of pepper
- Diced tofu and use paper towels to soak up excess water. Heat up some cooking oil and pan fry tofu till the edges are golden brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- With 2 tbsp oil left in the wok, saute minced garlic till fragrant.
- Add in yellow noodles and kway teow.
- Followed by all the seasoning.
- Stir fry to mix well.
- Add beansprouts and green vegetables.
- When vegetables has withered, add in the fried tofu cubes from Step 1.
- Stir fry briefly to mix well and off flame. Serve hot with chilies if desired.