I used to remember pigging into these easy french toasts for supper whenever the hunger pang strikes in the middle of the night. And my mom used to tell me their traditional way of making such toasts is simply coating the bread with egg and pan frying them with cooking oil. Perhaps I was influenced in such a way, I tend to favor these pretty “Chinese style” of french toasts literally than the English way where milk is included.
But I reckon that the difference is actually very insignificant and for those who are lactose intolerant, I guess this easy version will probably appeal to you better too. And I usually enjoy my french toasts with either slabs of butter, golden syrup, kaya jam or cinnamon sugar, which more on the sweet side I would say.
The old school way kicks in this time and so I had them with some kaya jam which was really awesome. Hopefully you will enjoy this easy french toast as much as I do too.
Easy French Toast 简易法式吐司Course: AppetizersCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
1 egg (ideal for 2 slices of sandwich bread)
Pinch of salt
16g of butter (8g for each slice)
Some kaya jam (Optional)
- Beat eggs till light yellow in color. Add pinch of salt.
- Coat the bread evenly all over with the beaten egg. Remove and set aside.
- Heat up butter in pan till melted.
- Add slice of bread. With the first slice of bread on the first side, pan fry around 4 minutes on medium heat till golden brown. Flip over and pan fry the other side. It will take shorter time now around 1-2 mins since the butter has already got heated up. Once golden brown, remove from heat.
- Place bread on some paper towels to remove excess butter.
- Spread with your favouite jam if desired.
- Slice and serve hot immediately.