Previously I’ve made an egg crepe rice parcel that sits beautifully on a plate and you can find the link here. And this time, I am attempting to fit it into a bento or lunch box which is kind of more challenging than the formal due to the smaller and non-roundish shape of the bento box.
But the good news is, I managed it successfully without the egg crepe breaking ! Generally this method should be able to apply to any bento box size and of course, it will be made easier if the lunchbox is a roundish shape without all the right angles at the corners. And instead of filling up the entire box with the egg crepe parcel with rice, which will be too much of the rice for me, I actually did half the box size and filled the other half with miscellaneous finger food.
The whole idea here is to make an egg crepe that wraps up a good fried rice which I attempted with a Olive Oil Sardines Egg Fried Rice in an earlier post here. The egg crepe must be able to cover the rice entirely when packed into the bento box and it must not tear or break in the midst of wrapping. So this definitely needs some caution there and then. And to allow that to happen, a little corn flour solution is added to the eggs mixture to give it some extra elasticity.
And because I only wanted to fill half of the bento box with rice, which fortunately my bento box comes with a divider and so I conveniently use that for the same purpose. Below step by step illustrations should help you better understand how to get this going. Took me quite a fair bit of time to get it sorted out so hope you will find it useful too !
Have fun ! And do let me know if you manage to prep a similar bento using this method too !
How to Make an Egg Crepe Rice Parcel for a Bento BoxCourse: MainCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Difficult
1 tsp corn flour + 1 tbsp water
Pinch of salt
Some cooking oil
- Add the corn flour solution to the eggs with a pinch of salt. Beat well.
- Heat up oil in a wide non stick pan. Add the eggs to pan and swirl it around to ensure it covers the pan in a thin layer.
- When the eggs is almost cooked on one side, flip it over.
- Off the flame. Remove the egg crepe after 10 seconds.
- Place a cling film wrap over the bento box with the divider if using/available.
- Drape the egg crepe over the cling film. Ensure the sides of the eggs are hanging over the bento box.
- Add fried rice to the egg crepe and gently press it to ensure the rice is firmly packed.
- Using the cling film, wrap up the egg parcel.
- Turn the egg parcel around, with the top facing down now.
- Gently pull away the cling wrap from the side.
- Cut 4 diagonal lines from the center of the egg parcel towards the 4 corners to open up the parcel. And your egg crepe rice parcel is done !
- Adding corn flour solution to the eggs mixture give it more elasticity so that the eggs will not break or tear easily during wrapping.