Cooked Macaroni soup with Ham for a quick dinner over the weekend. This dish is really nostalgic locally because it’s something that most of us have had when we were kids. But somehow as we grew older, we don’t seem to fancy this dish that much anymore but it still remains as a core breakfast staple in the hearts of the people in Hong Kong.
And since I have some macaroni to clear, thought it’s time I re-kindle myself back with this dish. Instead of ham, you could also opt for shredded chicken breast meat which would be equally great and perhaps healthier too. But the ham added some savoriness to the soup which I thought made it more tasty.
Some of you asked me if I cooked my own chicken soup stock or whether I got those off from the shelves. Technically speaking, I have both. If I cooked my own soup stock, I would cook a huge batch of them and freeze the extra. But if I decide to do some last minute cooking and I simply do not have the time to thaw the soup, then I will use the store bought ones. The one which I’ve always used is from the Japanese brand Mizkan. They have a couple of different kinds of soup bases, and the ones which I used most commonly will be the pork and chicken.
So here’s sharing to sharing this really quick and fuss free Macaroni soup with ham recipe. And somehow while this dish reminds me of Hong Kong, I do hope that the situation there get better soon and I’ll be able to make a holiday trip there once again.
Macaroni Soup with Ham 火腿通心粉汤Course: MainCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
200ml chicken stock
3 tbsp sweet corns
1 slice of ham, diced
1/2 tsp sesame oil
Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- For Garnish :
Some spring onions, diced
- To Serve with :
Sunny side egg
- Cook macaroni soup in some water until softened, approx. 10 mins.
- Drain the macaroni and rinse them under running water or cold water. Set aside.
- Combine stock and water in pot and cook till it boils.
- Add salt, pepper and sesame oil to taste.
- Add diced ham.
- Add corns.
- Add macaroni. When the soup boils, off the flame.
- Garnish with diced spring onions and serve with a sunny side up egg.
- Cooking the macaroni separately and allow it to go under some running/cold water remove some starchiness of the macaroni and gives it a better texture.