Chinese New Year is coming again in another 2 weeks time. Hence, attempted a Superior Abalone Scallop Pot 鲍鱼干贝一品锅 in preparation for the festive.
This dish is probably a subset of a Peng Cai, requires lesser ingredients, is a breeze to prepare, and very suitable for people who are working but still need to cook for CNY. As it can be cooked on a smaller scale too, making it ideal for smaller families and those who does not fancy too elaborate dishes.
Using Mizkan soup stock, all you need are some ready ingredients and it’s all good to go. In fact if you are fast hands and fast legs well enough, this dish can be served up in 30 mins. So even if you have had to prepare reunion dinner in a rush, this dish will fit the bill perfectly. As Chinese in a local Singapore context, the CNY is considered quite a major affair. And abalone and scallops are some of the premium to-haves to mark the festive.
For this dish, the Mizkan’s Yose Nabe soup base was used. It is a light soup base with a combination of four stocks, namely bonito fish, kelp, scallop and chicken. And since we are having abalone and scallops to make up the dish, this soup base is more than ideal for it. The sauce that simmers from the soup base compiled with sweetness from the dried scallops and abalone brine together with the savoriness of the roast pork is pretty tantalizing and goes along very well with some rice for a satisfying reunion affair.
And here’s a little compilation of all the dishes that was created using Mizkan’s products thus far :
Hope they can be of a little inspiration for this upcoming CNY ! Mizkan’s soup bases and all its other products can be found at all major supermarkets locally.
And here’s the recipe for Superior Abalone Scallop Pot 鲍鱼干贝一品锅 ! Happy feasting !!
- 2-3 small abalones or 1 large abalone sliced
- 2-3 dried mushroom (soak till softened)
- 2-3 frozen scallops
- 5 dried scallops
- 150g roast pork
- 100ml Mizkan soup stock
- 50ml mushroom water (water used to soak dried mushroom)
- 2 tbsp abalone brine
- 50ml water
- 1 small pack of tofu, cut into large chunks
- 3-4 sprigs spring onion, cut into sections
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Some cooking oil
- ½ tsp oyster sauce
- ½ tsp dark soya sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- Some wolfberries
- Pan fried tofu in some oil till the edges turn brown. Drain and set aside.
- Reserve 2 tsp of cooking oil in the pot, stir fry garlic and white parts of spring onion till aromatic.
- Add the Mizkan soup stock, mushroom water, water and abalone brine.
- Add the dried and frozen scallops, mushrooms.
- Add the roast pork.
- Add all the seasoning except shaoxing wine and cook till it boils.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot and allow to simmer for another 15mins.
- Taste and adjust as desired. Add the abalone and green parts of spring onion and fried tofu from Step 1.
- Finish off with shaoxing wine.
- Garnish with some wolfberries and serve hot immediately. Enjoy !