Good Monday all ! It’s been sometime since I actually steamed a dish, mainly because I have kept away my steamer and packed it neatly in the cabinet which made me rather hesitant to bring it out. Then I realized I could make do with a little steamer setup using my latest casserole too, so I decided to prep up this dish !
It’s actually pretty simple as it would have been with all steamed dishes. But the flavours was really good and intense, with an aromatic blend of spice from the Szechuan peppercorns and savouriness from the fermented beans. It has a twinge of Mala taste and goes on very well with rice.
With thanks to the folks at The Meatclub too, these pork spare ribs cubes were just in time for the dish as they came all vacuum packed and ready to be cooked once defroze.
As this dish is a steamed one, so instead of the usual step of blanching the ribs, I actually soaked them in some cold water longer to drain out the impurities which also helps to tenderize the meat slightly.
And the extras were prepped into the lunchbox the following day too ! And it’s still taste deliciously good. Although it might take a little more effort to prepare for lunchbox meals, but I guess it still beats than having outside food for health reasons and you can actually save some moolah too ! But in order not to tire ownself out too, you can opt for simple fare like a fried rice or noodles to begin your lunchbox journey, which I think can be pretty satisfying too, at least to me ! LOL.
Below is the recipe to share and hope everyone has a great week ahead !!
Steamed Szechuan Spicy Pork Spare Ribs 川式辣椒蒸排骨
Recipe type: Main
- 250-300g pork spare ribs cubes, soaked in some cold water for at least half an hour.
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- ¾ tsp szechuan peppercorns
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- ½ tsp fermented black beans, crushed
- ½ tsp fermented black bean paste
- 3-4 pcs dried chillies, soaked and cut into pieces
- 3-4 bunches of spring onions, white parts only
- 1 tbsp chilli oil
- 2-3 tbsp of water
- ¾ tsp sugar
- Some parsley, for garnish
For pork spare ribs marinate:
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp corn flour
- Marinate the pork spare ribs w salt and corn flour. Set aside for an hour.
- Add cooking oil to pan and stir fry the minced garlic, ginger, spring onions, dried chillies, szechuan peppercorns, fermented black beans and paste.
- Add water and sugar. Mix briefly and off flame.
- Spread onto pork spare ribs on a steaming plate in a steamer.
- Add chilli oil.
- Cover steamer and steam on medium high heat for 20mins
- Garnish as desired and serve hot immediately and enjoy !