Goodness, just realised the last time I updated the blog was more than 2 weeks ago. It has been awhile, isn’t it ? But nevertheless, I am pretty active in Instagram and learning to take some cooking videos and editing them using the mobile recently. Not so perfect still, but I guess it’s still do-able ! LOL. Well, do catch those videos in my IG stories if you are an Instagrammer !
I must say, this is probably an outdated recipe which I have shared on IG before. But for those who doesn’t use IG, which I know many still doesn’t still, I will try my best to continue in updating this little space of mine too. I am pretty attached to this blog site as I have spent a considerable amount of effort in setting it up, designing the space and putting everything in order and it wasn’t easy. So as long as I am still able to manage, I will try my best to keep this updated and fed it with my little cooking and baking adventures in life.
Earlier on, I was presented with this cookbook known as “Best of the Best 9 – Perfecting the Art of Steaming” from the Popular bookstore and this was one of the recipes that could be found in it. It was simple and straightforward, well I probably should say all steaming recipes are pretty noob friendly too and it so happen that I have all the ingredients on hand. So here it goes, a dish called Steamed Chicken with Shiitake Mushrooms and Dried Tangerine Peel.
You can easily get dried tangerine peel from chinese medical halls where a good bunch of it probably costs you around 50 cents. I used it often to braise meats as it gives the extra tanginess to the sauce. But for steaming wise, this is quite the first time I am using it for this purpose. Well, not too bad for a start ! After all, it’s from a published recipe book so it shouldn’t fare too badly too. Hehehe.
So here’s to sharing this really easy peasey recipe if you are in need of a healthy and quick meal !
- 2 whole chicken legs
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 5g dried tangerine peel (can be purchased from chinese medical halls)
- 1 tbsp ginger shreds
- ½ tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp glutinuous rice wine (i replace w shaoxing wine)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- Cut whole chicken legs into pieces. Mix w marinade and set aside.
- Soak shiitake mushrooms to soften, remove stalks and sliced.
- Soak dried tangerine peel, scrape off white pith, rinse and chop.
- Arrange chicken pieces, mushrooms and dried tangerine peel on a steaming plate. Sprinkle ginger shreds on top.
- Steam over high heat for 8 minutes. (As my chicken pieces are bigger, so I steam mine for 15mins.)