Although there have been a few braised meats recipes in the website already, but I would always love to try out using new and different additions to braising meats so that there can be a unique flavour each time. And the kind of braised meats that I would love, are those that has been stewed to tenderness, where the meat is almost falling off, compiled with a flavourful sauce that’s both savoury with a tad of sweetness.
When I was in Taiwan earlier last year where I attended a cooking class, the instructor ever told me that they will usually retain the skin of the tangerines that they have during CNY, baked them till they are super dry and used them for braising their meats.
- 200g pork belly/pork collar
- 600ml water
- 3 tbsp light soya sauce
- ½ tbsp dark soya sauce
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 30g rock sugar
- 3-4 pcs dried tangerine peels
- 2 star anise
- 1 clove
- 4 pcs ginger
- 2 pcs whole garlics, slightly crushed
- Blanch the pork in some boiling water to remove the impurities and excess oils.
- Add in the pork together with all the rest of the ingredients into another pot for cooking over the stove.
- When the sauce starts to boil, off the flame and transfer the pot to an electric cooker or slow cooker.
- Cook over the electric cooker for around 1.5 hours or desired tenderness. Serve hot with rice.