It’s fast that we are approaching the last month of the year once again. With the blowing hot and cold weather recently, it is no doubt that many of us are falling sick one after another. Especially at the work place where the virus seem to spread like nobody’s business and even at home, everyone is starting to fall ill as well.
So what’s better than a piping hot bowl of home made porridge that’s deliciously made from a luscious stock base with added peanuts, preserved vegetables and home style meatballs ? Not only does it gives warmth to the body, it also made an ideal choice as a comfort food for the soul.
And best of it all, it’s as tasty and healthy as it can be with literally zero seasonings used. Mizkan’s Pork Bone and Soy Sauce Nabe soup base is used to prepare this porridge and the soup base itself is all that’s good enough to eliminate the use of any seasonings !
Very often than not, whenever we buy ready packs of soup base, our first thoughts that come to our mind would be to have that for a hotpot or steamboat. However, Mizkan’s soup base is literally so flavourful and versatile that it can be used for cooking such porridge dishes. And amazingly, the flavours and taste are not in anyway compromised and in any cases, it’s even better than using water to cook the rice with the use of seasonings to flavour the dish thereafter.
And another of why I had such a penchant for this soup base is that it’s wholly made from pork bone and soy sauce and is very much likened to a home made collagen stock. As compared to if we were to prepare such a soup stock by ourselves, it would take more than a few hours to broil and broil the soup stock till all the bones disintegrate before we can finally manage to collate a small pot of it. So this Pork Bone and Soy Sauce Nabe from Mizkan greatly saves the effort in so doing and provides an equally good amount of flavour.
So here’s to sharing this fuss free and tantalising Peanuts and Preserved Vegetables with Meatballs Porridge that’s made perfect for the chilling weather during the year end. Enjoy !
- ½ cup cooked rice
- 250ml Mizkan Pork Bone and Soy Sauce Nabe Soup Base
- 450ml water + 150ml more to cook to consistency, if desired
- 250g minced meat
- 1 tbsp preserved vegetables 冬菜, rinsed briefly
- 50g raw peanuts, rinsed briefly
- 3 springs spring onion, diced
- 5 water chestnuts, diced
- 1 tbsp shallot oil
- dash of pepper
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- Some spring onion, diced
- Some fried shallots
- Some fried fritters
- Combine the minced meat with all the marinade ingredients and mix well. Throw the meat onto the mixing bowl several times till it becomes sticky.
- Add in the diced spring onion and water chestnuts to the minced meat and mix well.
- Roll them into size of approximately 1 tbsp for each meatball and set aside in the fridge.
- Combine the soup base stock with the water, peanuts and preserved vegetables in a pot. Cook till it boils before lowering the heat.
- Add in the shallot oil and stir to mix well. Adjust with more water to cook to desired consistency of the porridge.
- When almost done, add in the meatballs.
- When the meatballs are cooked, off the flame. Beat an egg into a bowl and add the porridge to it. Serve hot with diced spring onion, fried shallots and fried fritters as desired.