Ok, finally having some down time to start my blogging mojo again ! Have been so busy the previous week and finally got a breather over the weekends. And am so happy that I even manage to get some shopping done, more especially so when the shopping are done with free vouchers that I’ve won recently. Though not a huge amount, but still pretty satisfying.
And at times when I am too overwhelmed to do any blogging, you can find me on IG here too for more recipes and instantaneous updates. Recently, I whipped up this easy Dong Po Pork Ribs with Carrots & Radish using Tefal Clipsominut Pressure Cooker. It has a good blend of Szechuan peppercorns aroma together with our local style of braising with soya sauce. Blanching the pork ribs in some hot oil or even air frying them prior to cooking actually helps the pork ribs to absorb the flavours better and allows for them to stay in shape and not disintegrate into the sauce even after the meat has turned tender and soft.
And serving this dish together with some blanched spinach as well makes it a complete one pot dish all together. In fact, if you are not using a pressure cooker, slow stewing the dish in a casserole pot should allow for more wonders as the ribs has all the time to fully immerse itself with the aromas and you can serve the dish as it is once cooked, with so much lesser washing to be done ! You know, that somehow makes me yearn for the Le Creuset pots even more whenever I think about it because they look so presentable and eye catching. But still, I haven’t put my this thought into any action yet. Haha ! Maybe one fine day, when the price doesn’t put me off anymore, I certainly will ya !! :)))
In the meantime, enjoy eye-feasting on this dish ! And if you need fresh groceries anytime, do grab them from PurelyFresh online who delivers right to your doorstep everyday of the week !
Here’s the recipe to share too ! Have a great week ahead, all !
- 300g pork ribs
- 50g spinach, blanched in boiling water with some 1 tsp of sesame oil and drained
- 50g carrots, cut into wedges
- 50g radish, cut into wedges
- 5 pcs dried shitake mushrooms, soaked in water till softened (reserve the mushroom water)
- 5-6 slices ginger
- 3-4 sprigs spring onion, white parts only
- 1 tsp Szechuan peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- ½ tsp white peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 300ml water
- Some cooking oil
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- ½ tsp dark soya sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- ½ tbsp light soya sauce
- ½ tbsp shaoxing wine
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 10g rock sugar
- 1 tsp corn flour + 2 tbsp water
- Marinate the pork ribs with the marinade and set aside in the fridge for at least 3 hours. Deep fried the pork ribs in some hot cooking oil till golden brown. Alternatively, air fried them at 170 degrees for approx. 10 minutes.
- Drain the pork ribs on paper towels.
- With 1 tbsp of cooking oil in the pressure cooker, add the sliced ginger, Szechuan peppercorns, white peppercorns and white parts of the spring onion. Saute till aromatic.
- Add in the pork ribs,
- Add the shitake mushrooms, carrots and radish and the mushroom water together with some water to form around 300ml water together with all the seasoning. Stir to mix well.
- Close the pressure cooker lid and pressure cook it for around 30 minutes.
- Release the pressure and check if pork ribs are to desired tenderness. If not, you can cook it for awhile longer. Taste and adjust accordingly before adding the thickening solution.
- Once the sauce thickens, remove from heat and serve alongside with the blanched spinach.