I never used to like pumpkin because I really detest slicing the pumpkin skin which is seriously tough to handle. And because of that, cooking pumpkin isn’t one of my top favourite. But once in a blue moon, I do enjoy that golden hue of natural sweetness in my food which I will willingly prepare for all its goodness then.
And earlier I had the pumpkin in my Dried Scallop and Pumpkin Brown Rice Porridge which you can see from here. So this time, I decided to enjoy the pumpkin with something real meaty for that extra indulgence.
How about braising some pork ribs with pumpkin sounds like ? A pretty much Cantonese-style dish that’s well seasoned with fermented black soybeans and compiled with the natural sweetness of pumpkin, with pork ribs that have been braised till ideal savouriness, this dish will certainly tempt you to enjoy every bit of the meat, sauce and pumpkin to the last bite with much delight !
In fact, if you are cooking this on a larger scale, it will work ideally as a one pot dish because that’s a meat and pumpkin as a vegetable in the dish itself and the gravy from the braising makes a slurpy condiment with rice. To be frank, I am not a fussy person with food and easy going home cooked foods like such is certainly good enough to keep me going.
Get your fresh groceries from PurelyFresh online to serve up this yummylicious dish today !
Braised Pork Ribs with Pumpkin 金瓜焖排骨
Recipe type: Main
- 500g short pork ribs
- 200g pumpkin, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp fermented black soybeans
- 1 tsp plum sauce
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- some water
For the Pork Marinade:
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
For the Seasoning:
- 1 tsp dark soya sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
For the Thickening Solution:
- 1 tsp corn flour mixed with 1 tbsp water
- Marinade the pork ribs with the marinade ingredients, cover and set aside in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Heat up 1 tbsp of cooking oil in a wok and add the minced garlic and fermented black soybeans. Saute till fragrant and add in the plum sauce.
- Add in the marinated pork ribs and stir briefly to mix well till the pork ribs are no longer pinkish in colour.
- Add in enough water till they cover the pork ribs and allow it to simmer till it boils. Add in the seasonings and lower the heat.
- Cover the wok and allow the pork ribs to be simmered on low heat for approximately one hour.
- When the pork ribs is done to your desired tenderness, add in the pumpkin chunks. Stir to mix well. Allow the pumpkin to continue to simmer till they turn soft.
- Add in the thickening solution and once the sauce is reduced and slightly thickened, off the flame.
- Garnish as desired and serve hot with rice.