Cooked this dish to go with congee on an ultra humid weekend !! Yes, it’s congee again for the umpteenth times because that’s all is in the craving now !! So was looking for suitable dishes to go alongside with congee when I noticed this really simple and fuss free one, especially when I had the chicken air fried prior to stir frying, this makes everything so much easier too.
You may have heard of Kam Heong prawns or other kinds of seafood which is usually being called for in this dish. However, I gave it a slight twist and used it on a poultry instead. Because seafood would be too heavy a meal for a brunch, this Kam Heong Chicken makes all the sense to be presented and I really enjoyed how the blend of seasoning that comes about. Refreshing lemon juice blending with savoury oyster sauce and infusing with the dried shrimps, chilli padis and fragrant curry leaves. It’s a delightful combination I may say and the fact that I actually air fried the chicken instead of deep frying them prior to cooking makes this dish all the way healthier with much convenience too.
It’s a well mix of spiciness, sourness, sweetness and brilliantly savoriness in this dish. Yes, it’s a pretty much all in one there. The dried shrimps enhance the flavor whilst the curry leaves gives a further boost to the fragrance of the dish.
And because fresh chicken thighs from PurelyFresh are used in this instant, you can easily get the guys over at the online store to assist with the proportion of the chicken cuts into smaller pieces at no extra charge. This dish makes an awesome home cooked dish anytime and it is definitely going into my preserved collection of homely recipes.
Hope you guys will enjoy this dish too !! :)
- 2 whole chicken thighs, cut into smaller pieces
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried shrimps, soaked in water till softened
- 4 chillies padis, diced
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- ½ tsp pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 4 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- Make a few slits on the drumsticks and combine the chicken parts with light soya sauce and pepper and set it aside in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Air fried the chicken pieces at 170 degrees for approximately 15 minutes.
- In a wok, heat up 1 tbsp of the cooking oil and add the dried shrimps. Stir fried briefly till fragrant. Drain and set aside the dried shrimps.
- With the leftover oil in the wok, add additional 1 tbsp of oil and add the minced garlic, chili padis and curry leaves. Saute till fragrant.
- Add the chicken parts, the reserved dried shrimps and the rest of the seasoning ingredients. Stir to mix well.
- Cover the wok and allow the chicken to sizzle in the seasoning sauce for another 5 minutes, turning them occasionally to allow the sauce to cover them well.
- Remove from flame and serve hot with rice or congee.