I made a “life-changing” decision this week !! I finally made the move to step out of my comfort zone which I have been for the past 5 years and venturing into an unknown and risky environment which I am pretty much looking forward to though. A new job, new environment with new people, something which would have gotten me very paranoid if it was the past me. But having gone through many brinks of tussles and dramas over these few years has somehow made me stronger and firmer in my convictions in various ways. And this was also one of my 2017 resolutions fulfilled, hence it’s probably also the right time for me to move on.
I think I will miss some of the very nice people at my current workplace who would always love my bakes and finish them up in no time. LOL. And this is one of the recent bakes which make it to everyone loves. The thick luscious chocolate brownie topped with rich buttery cake served with a slight twinge of warmth is just beyond words. Especially when a good baking chocolate with premium butter is used, the aroma that fills the dessert platter is irresistible.
The soft buttery cake helps to defuse some of the “sinfulness” of the chocolate brownie as having the brownie all on its own might seem a bit too much for my liking. The combination is just right, if not better. In fact, I love how the very dark or seemingly black color of the brownie being topped with the golden hue of the buttery cake. They made a good contrast in tones and definitely looks very appealing on display. So if you have any party baking to be considered, do give this a shot. I am sure your guests will certainly keep coming back for this awesomely flavorful cake.
And if you need fresh ingredients or groceries, do hop onto PurelyFresh online for all your needs anytime !
- 155g couverture chocolate / baking chocolate (break into pieces if they are in huge chunks)
- 60g butter
- 60g brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 45g plain flour
- 120g butter
- 100g castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 120g plain flour, sifted together with ½ tsp baking powder
- 50ml fresh milk
- Some snow powder (optional)
- Combine the chocolate and butter from the brownie layer in a heat proof bowl and simmer it over a water bath till all the chocolate and butter has melted.
- Allow it to cool slightly before adding the sugar and egg.
- Fold in the plain flour till all are mixed well.
- Line a 8 by 4 inch pound cake tin with baking paper and pour the brownie batter into the tin. Bake at 170 degrees in a pre-heated oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- Combine the butter and sugar together and beat till light and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Add the eggs 1 at a time and beat till they are well combined into the batter.
- Fold in ⅓ of the flour mixture with a spatula and add in ½ of the milk. Continue with another ⅓ of the flour with the rest of the milk and ending with the flour.
- Pour the butter cake batter over the brownie layer and smoothen the top.
- Bake at 160 degrees for another 30 minutes or until cooked when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to be cooled slightly before removing from the tin. Dust with some snow powder as desired. Wait till the cake has cooled completely before slicing. Serve warm.