Had too much good food during the CNY ? LOL. So it’s time for a simple fare then ! Something to go along with congee or porridge, this Golden Egg Steamed Tofu is perfect for the occasion. It’s light enough as a dish and yet comprises of tofu, egg, salted egg and minced all in one dish.
Probably you may ask.. where’s the tofu arh ? LOL. Well, it has been well hidden under the pile of minced ! The silky egg custard paired alongside with salted egg yolk, savory minced and plain tofu seems quite a good combination for a quiet and light meal after all the heavy indulgence during the CNY.
And I am counting down to my long awaited break that’s forthcoming in another 2 days’ time ! I am gonna take this opportunity to really de-stress and let loose ! And hopefully being MY month of the year, all my well wishes will come true in no time !!
Coming back to the dish, I garnished it with plentiful of fried shallots which make it all the more aromatic and tasteful !! And really love how the egg custard blends and infuses well with the savory minced and crunchy shallots !
Get your supply of fresh ingredients from PurelyFresh online today to prepare this delicious and simply fuss free homely dish !!
- 2 pcs salted egg yolks
- 1 block tofu
- 1 egg + 100ml water
- ¼ tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 140g minced meat
- 1 tsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tsp corn flour
- dash of pepper
- some chopped spring onion
- some fried shallots
- Steamed the salted egg yolks until cooked and mashed them.
- Combine the egg with water, ¼ tsp salt and dash of pepper and stir to mix well.
- In a deep steaming plate, place the block of tofu in the middle of it and strain the egg mixture over it.
- Spread the mashed salted egg yolks evenly into the egg mixture.
- Cover the steaming plate with a cling wrap and steamed it over high heat for approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked when the surface of the egg is slightly wobbly. Note : Steaming time is approximate as it depends on the depth of plate used.
- Heat up a wok with 1 tbsp of cooking oil and add in the marinated minced meat.
- Stir fried the minced till they are cooked. If you find the colour too light, u can also add in some dark soya sauce and stir fried till they are evenly mixed.
- Top the egg tofu from Step 5 with the minced mixture. Garnish with chopped spring onion and shallots. Serve hot.
The length of time taken to steam the egg is approximate, depending on the size and depth of the steaming plate used. In general, I prefer the steamed egg to be slightly wobbly on the top after steamed. If you are worried that the egg will be over steamed, you can off the flame around the 15-minutes mark and allow the remaining heat of the steamer to continue steaming the egg.