Today is 大年初四 ! How is everyone’s CNY coming along ? Well, for once, I am kinda looking forward to going back to work tomorrow ! LOL. Because in a few days’ time, I finally get to travel again after almost one year later. And best of it all, it’s gonna be a solo trip once again for some real ME time. So looking forward to waking up to a non-itinerary holiday, roaming the streets, going for prayers for the loved ones, cafe-hopping, and hopefully by the time I am back, I will refreshed, energised with positivity vibes and better aligned to what I am gonna do with my life and making the right decisions henceforth.
CNY is a time for munching on goodies. But that’s quite a limited number of goodies I go for. Most of the bakers usually love to bake for others and not for themselves. Weird, isn’t it ? But it’s always a blessing to be able to give and seeing your loved ones enjoying the food you have made is something that’s countlessly priceless to any home cook or baker.
Considering a fresh near year ahead now, there has been many wishes on my mind that I’ve been hoping that can be fulfilled. Other than praying for the well-being of all the loved ones, another being having all the time to cook and bake to my liking. So here’s one to kick start the new year motivation ! One of my favourite CNY snack, in fact I can have this all year round and not necessary during the festive. And best of it all, I had it air fried instead of deep fried. I am really glad that I am able to gear up my air fryer for more stuffs now !
So if that’s anyone starting work tomorrow like I do, let’s all embrace the new year with a positive work attitude too and huat arh !! LOL.
- Some spring roll skin (measures 12.5cmx12.5cm, cut into ¼)
- 15 dried chillies
- 5 pips garlics
- 5 shallots
- one small piece of belachan
- 50g dried shrimps
- 1 tsp sugar (adjust according to taste)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Combine all the dried chillies, garlics, shallots, belachan and dried shrimps in a food processor.
- Blend the mixture till it's fine.
- In a deep frying pan, add the cooking oil and add the sambal mixture from above.
- Add the sugar, taste and adjust accordingly. Keep stirring on low-medium heat till the mixture is dry.
- Wrap the sambal shrimp mixture in a spring roll skin like how you would wrap a spring roll and seal the edges with some egg wash.
- Place the wrapped shrimp rolls in the wire rack of the air fryer and air fried at 180 degrees for 12 minutes.
- Allow the shrimp rolls to be cooled before storing in air tight containers.
Using 2 layers of spring roll skin can enable the shrimp roll to be more crunchy after air frying too.
You can always replace the sambal shrimp filling with chicken or pork floss as to your liking.