Even though I do love my oven and air fryer a lot, but I do feel that there are certain kinds of foods, especially in Chinese cooking, would render possible only with deep frying. And this Big Prawn Fritters seriously happen to be one of them. Similar to the Fish N Chips recipe here, it involves a coating of flour and wet batter before dipping into the hot oil, to achieve that very crunchy and golden brown exterior.
And you can literally hear that crackling sound as you put your teeth into these prawns fritters when they are still piping hot. Perhaps we can find the Japanese prawn tempura more often that these Chinese style of prawn fritters sold commercially. This makes all the reason to wanting to cook this from home.
After all, other than home made, I guess it’s quite rare we can even find this from restaurants nowadays. The huge amount of work in getting the prawns done up for the deep frying is perhaps more laborious than the cooking itself. This probably makes less economical sense for anyone wanting to sell this cuisine anymore.
But set aside the preparation of the prawns, the rest of it are pretty straight forward and forthcoming. It serve as a very tempting and appealing appetiser where you could just munch on it by itself without any constraints or extras.
Grab some huge fresh prawns from PurelyFresh online today to prepare this all time home favourite today !! Enjoy !!
- 500g fresh big prawns, de-shelled and de-veined but with tail intact
- 6 tbsp corn flour
- Some cooking oil, for deep frying
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- dash of pepper
- 120g self raising flour, sifted (if you do not have self raising flour, you can use 120g plain flour + 1½ tsp baking powder + ¼ tsp salt)
- 40g corn flour
- 150ml ice cold water
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp chicken stock powder
- dash of pepper
- After the prawns are de-shelled and de-veined, make as many as 7 to 8 horizontal slits at the bottom of the prawns as shown.
- Season the prawns with the marinade ingredients and set aside for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Coat the prawns with the corn flour, shake off the excess flour and dip into the wet batter.
- Heat up some cooking oil in a pot till hot. Deep fry the prawns in the hot oil immediately after dipping into the wet batter from the previous step. When the prawns has turn golden brown, dish and drain well on paper towels.
- Serve hot with chilli sauce or mayonnaise or any other sauce as desired.