I suppose everyone has a childhood favourite and tomato sauce without fail, is something that accompanies a kid’s growing up meal. And I guess I am no exception. But as we grew older, tomato sauce has less of an appeal and is gradually replaced by the various kinds of hot spices.
But when I went to dabao chap chai peng recently, this childhood dish caught my attention once more.
Chicken Franks with Potatoes in Oriental Sauce, a dish that most of us grew up with and it’s been a long while since I even had that. Well, kinda suddenly missing it all of a sudden then. I decide to search for that long missing taste and I am really glad that I did.
Chicken franks and potatoes seem to complement each other perfectly and accompanied by a blend a sweet and sour oriental sauce, it’s a dish that’s just fit for everyone in the household and will surely be delighted by the kids in particular.
- 5 chicken franks, cut into small pieces
- 2 potatoes, sliced
- 4 tbsp mixed vegetables
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ onion, sliced
- extra cooking oil (for deep frying the potatoes and chicken franks)
- 2 ½ tbsp tomato sauce
- ½ tbsp oyster sauce
- ½ tbsp sweet soya sauce or kecap manis
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tsp sugar
- Heat up some water till boiling to blanch the mixed vegetables. When most of mixed vegetables float to the surface of the water, they are ready. Drain and set aside.
- Heat up some cooking oil in a wok and deep fried the potatoes.
- When the edges of the potatoes turn slightly brown, remove and drain the potatoes on paper towels. Set aside.
- Using the same hot oil, blanch the chicken franks in it till they float to the surface of the oil. This takes approximately 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- Heat up 1 tbsp of cooking oil in a deep frying pan and saute the minced garlic and sliced onions till fragrant. Add in the sauce and allow it to simmer till it boils.
- Add in the potatoes and chicken franks. Stir well to ensure all the potatoes and chicken franks are well coated with the sauce. Add in the blanched mixed vegetables from Step 1. Stir slightly to mix and off the flame.
- Dish and serve hot.