Now other than shopping for household and furniture stuffs, what’s next in line that we have to do for sure at Ikea ? I reckon it has to be the food, isn’t it ? The chicken wings, poached salmon, Swedish meatballs are some of my favorites and I am sure the same for many of us too.
And if you can’t get enough of what’s served at the restaurant, that’s always the option of gearing the extras back home to indulge at your own convenience from the supermarket. So in conjunction with Ikea’s cook off challenge for this month to support the stance towards serving sustainable fish, I decided to garner the smoked salmon that was purchased from the Swedish Food Market and tune it into an absolutely awesome looking and equally delish baked dish… which is a Smoked Salmon and Mushroom Cheese Quiche !!
And here’s to unfolding the various layers of the quiche for a quick indulgence in words ~ A rich buttery crust, followed by an irresistible layer of melted cheddar cheese, an extra coating of mushrooms and onions that has been pre-sautéed till tender and fragrant, topped with a luscious layer of Ikea’s LAX KALLKROT Smoked Salmon, finished off with an ultra-rich custard combi that’s made up of milk, whipped cream and egg, garnished with herbs and freshly ground peppers and lastly baked in the oven till perfection.
Did mine description of the quiche makes you drool ?? Well, there’s the tantalizing pictures too to whet your appetite more ! Plus, you need not just “feast” on the pictures alone, because I have included a step-by-step recipe below to allow you to prepare this on your own ! Nothing beats making your own food from scratch and enjoying it till the very last bits ! And as you know, I am quite an advocator of straightforward and sound recipes, so I am pretty confident that any cooking or baking noob will be able to master this !
And serving the quiche with the ARV BRÖLLOP glass serving stand from Ikea seems to make it even more tempting !
- 100g butter
- 180 flour
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 mushrooms,sliced
- 3 shallots, sliced
- ½ pack of IKEA LAX KALLKROT Smoked Salmon
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- 75ml whipped cream
- 75ml fresh milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- some shredded parsley
- some mixed herbs
- some freshly ground black pepper
- dash of salt
- dash of pepper
- Mix the flour and butter together and rub the butter into the flour using the hands, till they resemble like crumbs.
- Add the water and knead the flour and butter together till it becomes a dough.
- Flatten the dough using the palms between a huge piece of cling film wrap.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough further till it fits into the size of an 8 inch removable base tart pan.
- Place the roll out dough over the tart pan and press it gently using your finger knob so that it sticks to the sides and base of the pan. Trim away the unwanted ends that are hanging over the pan.
- Using a fork, prick the base of the tart all over. This is to prevent the tart from puffing up during baking.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 175 degrees C for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients. Sliced the shallots and mushrooms thinly and slice the smoked salmon into pieces and gently separate them.
- Heat up the oil in a deep frying pan and saute the sliced shallots and mushrooms. Add dashes of salt and pepper to taste.
- When the sliced mushrooms and shallots have become tender and fragrant, remove them from heat and set aside.
- Combine the whipped cream, milk and eggs in a mixing bowl and beat gently to mix in the eggs.
- Remove the pre-heated tart crust from the oven and allow it to cool slightly before placing the cheddar cheese. Tear the cheese into small pieces and arrange it neatly so that it covers the entire base of the tart.
- Place the next layer of sauteed mushrooms and shallots all over.
- Add in the next layer of smoked salmon pieces.
- Add the cream layer from Step 11 such that it fills to the brim of the tart.
- Sprinkle some mixed herbs, shredded parsley and ground black pepper all over the top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 175 degrees C for another 30 minutes till the quiche fillings turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let it cool slightly before removing the quiche from the tart pan. Serve hot.