I am quite a fan of street snacks, from local pasar malams to night markets when I travel, I never failed to try out the various kinds of street snacks whenever possible. Of course, with the exception of you know.. those gross looking stuffs which give me the creeps ! But this particular prawn fritters is quite my favourite, but only loving it when it’s freshly deep fried and all crispy and hot from the edges. And because I have these fresh prawns delivered from PurelyFresh on the same day, it was just the momental timing for me to prepare these snacks.
There are many variations for these snacks, some had them prepare with diced carrots, beansprouts, peanuts, ikan bilis, chives, etc. Mine actually comes with sweet turnip (yam bean), diced scallions and lotsa minced prawns. Mainly because I prefer mine to be more prawn-ey than the usual, and other than the flour batter, the extra turnips added abit of sweetness to the fritters and the scallions with some additional colours and taste.
Doesn’t the golden hue after the deep frying looks just brilliant ?? :)
- 150g self raising flour
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 90g minced prawns
- 120g sweet turnips/yam bean, diced
- 8-10 pcs of scallions, diced
- 8 pcs of medium sized prawns (usually whole with shells, but I only retain the shells of the head and tail only)
- some cooking oil (for deep frying)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chicken powder
- 1 egg
- 200ml water
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Combine all the flours together with all the seasoning ingredients and stir till the batter is smooth.
- Add the minced prawns, diced turnips and scallions to the batter from Step 1.
- Heat up the cooking oil for deep frying. You can test whether the oil is hot enough by placing a chopstick into the oil and bubbles starts to sizzle around it. Place the metal ladle in the hot oil to heat it up before using. (The batter will stick to the ladle if it is not hot enough.)
- Place the ingredients that has been mixed with the flour batter from Step 2 into the ladle. Top it with a shelled prawn and lower into the hot oil for deep frying.
- Deep fried the prawn fritters till golden brown on both sides and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.