Not sure why, but I had this mad craving for some crispy fried wantons suddenly. It has really been eons since I last enjoyed one at the hawker stall. Those that are deep fried till golden brown and skin so crispy that you would think you are eating some crackers instead and filled with some savory prawns and meat fillings ! It’s similar to our prawn rolls or dumplings, but just having it presented and cooked in slightly different ways. And they go best with some Thai chilli sauce and mayonnaise combo too ! I often find those that are sold outside always had too much of a skin to filling ratio, so when I prepared mine this time, I make sure my fillings are filled to a good brim ! Hahaha ! Yes, I am greedy to the max !! The supposedly “slim and small” wanton becomes a “bloated” one now !! Perhaps looking more like a prawn dumpling instead ! LOL.
Ok, my initial plan was just to make a few to stop the hunger pangs in between the meals. But then, 1, 2 and 3 of these tempting giant wantons did not stop there. I continued with 4,5 and 6 and even set aside some for the next meal. Gosh, I lost count eventually… I think I must have a love-hate relationship with weekends ! While they provide the desire to fuel my passion and cravings, they have also done a great dame of damage to my waistline ! I even had some extras chilled and frozen so that I could enjoy them whenever the craving arises again. And yes, my next attempt shall be to prepare some really nice broth to go along with these wantons in soupy version.
All that that goes into these giant crispy wantons can be found on PurelyFresh, the one–stop online grocery store that has been kindly sponsoring my groceries needs so far !! From the freshly minced meat, the fresh prawns, water chestnuts and even the wanton skin, you name it, they pretty much have it !!
These crispy wantons in golden hue are so good to see, nice to eat and just makes one hungry for more. It’s liked you can never keep your hands off them, pinching at one after another whenever you past by the table. Hahahha!! Ok lar, maybe for me yeah.
- 450 minced chicken / pork
- 250g prawn meat, minced
- 10 pcs water chestnuts, diced
- 50 pcs of wonton skins
- some cooking oil, for deep frying
- For the marinade:
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp corn flour
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together with the minced meat, prawn and diced water chestnuts for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight in the fridge.
- Wrap approximately 1 tbsp of the filling from the previous step with the wonton skin and shape it like a wonton. Seal off the edges with water.
- Heat up some cooking oil till hot. You can test for its readiness when bubbles start to sizzle around a chopstick placed into the hot oil. Deep fried the wontons till golden brown.
- (Alternatively, prepare some soup broth or instant noodle soup and cook these wontons in the soup. These wontons will make a good wonton soup too !)