The heat has been getting down on me recently and the humid weather is making its comeback so dreadfully that I am seriously grateful for the whoever who created the much beloved air conditioning now ! But the irony is the utilities bill every month which I refused to acknowledge. Hahaha! If only there can be a balance of both worlds… Perhaps the Singapore Power should initiate a day of Free Utilities Day as a rebate to its citizens yeah. Hahaha, just like how Macdonalds is giving away free muffins today in collaboration with National breakfast day or how Ben and Jerry giving free ice cream on its Free Cone Day. I know I know.. I shall “wait long long” hor…
I was craving for some plain congee recently to balance up the diet from the over-feasting during CNY and I was on the look out for some simple one-pot dish to go along. And till now, I am still salivating over the rich and luscious sauce of the stewed chicken !! Abit regretable that I never cook more to freeze it and I could just reheat whenever I wanna eat. But well, I believe I could always cook it again !
This one pot dish is made up of mid joint wings, ginger, shallots and spring onion. The sauce itself goes on perfectly with a bowl of congee and I reckon you would not need any other dishes to go along. The spring onion made up for the greens in a diet and the ginger and shallots add to the fragrance and provided a slight bit of spice. Of course, you need not necessary cook it in a clay pot, but the distinct aroma from it is certainly more delectable. While the original recipe calls for chicken thigh, I had them substituted with mid joint wings as they have lesser small bones and therefore easier to eat.
It probably should go well with some mushrooms and lean meats too, I shall remember to include those the next time ! In fact, just the sauce itself on plain congee is already so delicious that I could eat that on its own. While this meal was a late lunch, I was so filled to the brim that I went without a dinner thereafter ! So never underestimate the starchy power of even just congee !
Oh well, I know I always end a blog post with a boring lamentation on the day of the week. Hahaha.. and as you know… today is awful Monday again !! When is awesome Friday coming ar ??
Stewed Chicken with Ginger and Shallot Hot Pot
- 6 pieces of mid joint wings
- 1 onion cut into slices
- 2 stalks of spring onion cut in sections
- 4 pieces of ginger sliced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced shallot
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- some pepper
- a pinch of sesame oil
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp water
- Marinate mid joint wings with marinade ingredients for 30 minutes.
- Heat a little oil in wok and stir fry ginger, minced garlic and shallot over medium high heat until fragrant. Add the white portion of spring onion and stir fry until fragrant. Add chicken wings and stir fry until chicken changes colour. Set aside.
- Add a little oil to work and add onion, stir fry until onion becomes slightly tender. Return chicken with sauce to wok. Add 2/3 of the green portion of spring onion and stir fry swiftly. Add 1/2 cup of water. Bring to boil.
- Transfer ingredients to a claypot. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Add thickening mixture and stir well.
- Sprinkle with remaining spring onion for garnish. Serve immediately.
Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful post. Τhank you foг supplying tɦis info.