I loved how this lemon cake turn out… refreshingly sourish with a twinge of sweetness in it. I couldn’t take sour stuffs very well like most women do, or rather I do not take anything sour to begin with. But I could manage this cake well, therefore you can reckon this cake isn’t those typical sourish cake.
While some people do coat the cake with some kind of frosting or buttercream, I love the cake as it is… and the most I would go is the lemon syrup which could help to keep the cake moist overnight. Best served as a breakfast or teatime delight without going too heavy on the diet which would otherwise be if frosting is enabled.
From certain angle, I thought this looked like a loaf of bread lor ! Hahaha !
So remember when life gives you lemons, have a Meyer Lemon Cake ! And hey, that’s some truth in it ok… it’s like telling you that there’s always some sweetness amidst all the sourish stuffs, you just gotta chewed on it and stay chilled and all will turn out fine !
Jia you !! Gambatte !!! Keep it up !! It’s Happy Friday once more !!! :)
- 200g sugar
- lemon zest of 4 Meyer Lemons
- 115g unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 210g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 175ml milk
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g sugar
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Grease and line an 8.5 inch by 4.2 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the lemon juice, milk and vanilla and set aside.
- With another bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest well till moist and fragrant.
- Cream butter and lemon sugar mixture until light and fluffy with a mixer, approximately for 5 minutes.
- With mixture on low speed, add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the flour and milk mixture alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Pour batter into pan, smoothen the top and bake for 40 mins (with fan mode) or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- All the cake to cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the lemon syrup by cooking it over a small fire until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Drizzle the lemon syrup over the cake immediately. Allow the cake to cool completely before serving.