Ever wondered what to do with all the leftovers from the steamboat feasting during CNY ? Have them all in a one pot dish with this Hong Kong Styled Braised Yee Mee !
But I was hungry, so I had it cooked in a wok and serve them on plates once they are ready, instead of using a pot. So perhaps I should name this a one-plate dish instead. And all it took was a good 30-minutes to beef up a HK style braised yee mee and it tastes exactly like the one we had at zhi chay stalls ! And most importantly, I was trying to use up the leftovers from the CNY feast and all that was available was applicable ! As I mentioned in an earlier blog post that I would be creating a new section as such for busy working adults like myself who desire a home-cooked meal after work and yet lacking the time to whip up a laborious meal. And so here it comes again !
Prawns, scallops, crabmeats, carrots, mushrooms, veges… Imagine all the seafood abundance which I am pretty sure you won’t get so much “good stuffs” for the same dish at a zhi chay stall or even at a restaurant. Of course, those are what I have in my fridge, and if you have others, feel free to add them to your liking.
For once, I manage to finish up this huge serving all by myself !
We are down to the last 2 days of CNY ! As fast as it comes, as quick as it past too ! And if you have not done the typical CNY stuffs that you have to do, here’s your last chance !! But actually I can only think of Lou Yusheng as the most interesting to me…. Hahaha… and even with that, my favourite are the salmon and the crackers only ! Brrrrrr………………….
Of course, here’s the recipe to share !
- 30g vegetables of any kind
- 30g carrots, sliced
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- mushrooms, quantity as desired
- scallops, quantity as desired
- prawns, quantity as desired
- crabsticks, quantity as desired
- 1 piece of Hong Kong style Yee Mee
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- pinch of sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 220ml water
- Blanch carrots in boiling water. (I prefer my carrots to be soft, therefore I will boil them longer till they turn tender.) Dish and drain.
- Heat up oil, stir fry mushrooms and scallops until fragrant. Add seasoning and bring to boil.
- Add in blanched carrots and other veges (if using) and the remaining ingredients (prawns, crabsticks, etc) and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Dish up and serve hot.