This will probably be one of my last few bakes for the next couple of months. As I am preparing for the first minor move and thereafter one major move, there will be no bakes, no cakes, no aspiring bakers for the next 3 months, at least. Sighhhh. The current house is sold, and while awaiting for the new house which is due for completion in another 2-3 months’ time, I have to “transit” at the parents’ place ! Baking and the kitchen is certainly “out of bounds” at the parents’ place, so I am storing all the baking stuffs and the oven in the warehouse for the time being.
On the other hand, I am also glad that the new house will be furnished with a more spacious kitchen, which I am desperately in need of, a larger worktop which I have always been lacking of, and definitely a built-in oven !
Durian season is in now ! The durian uncle say this season will last pretty long, probably until end of July or early August. Well, for sure, durians lovers will be excited. And so will durian bakers ! Haha ! Dad got some real nice natural, non-fertilizer grown durians from Pulau Ubin over the weekend and I quickly grabbed some to incorporate them into the bakes. Other than durian puffs, I made a Durian Chiffon Cake too. Originally meant for Mum’s birthday coz she doesn’t like any cream / cheese cakes, I had it make in a heart shaped chiffon tin. But before she could see the whole cake in the shape of the heart, it was already being sliced for one reason or the other !
On a side note again …. Did my first round of packing yesterday…. and realized baking items easily made up 8 cartons, being 3 cartons of books and 5 other cartons of baking tins and stuffs. And there’s just a preliminary pack, for goodness sake ! I really wonder how many there will be when all are being boxed up !
This is one of my favourite baking tins so far. Usually we always see chiffon in round shape, and making it into a heart shape really make it stand out. The only problem probably lies in cutting equal slices of it and that that this is really a big tin, almost 10 inches. So it’s a chiffon cake for a big family !
Recipe adapted from [Chiffon Cake is Done] by Kevin Chai , with modifications.
Egg Yolk Batter: 6 egg yolks 150ml coconut milk 4 tbsp oil 1/4 tsp salt 150 g durian puree (Using fresh durian meat, I blend it to a fine puree state in a mixer/blender.) 1/4 tsp durian essence (I omit this.) 50g caster sugar 140g plain flour (I replaced with 110g plain flour and 30g corn flour, both sifted.)
Egg White Foam: 6 egg whites 1/4 tsp cream of tartar 100g caster sugar
Method: 1. Mix the egg yolks, coconut milk, oil, salt, durian puree and sugar together using a mixer till smooth. Add in sifted flour and mix till it forms a batter.
2. Combine all the ingredients of the egg white foam and whisk at high speed until frothy and stiff peak form.
3.Gently fold beaten egg whites into egg yolk batter, taking care not to deflate too much of the volume in the batter.
4. Pour batter into a 22-cm chiffon cake pan. Bake at 175 degrees C for about 45 mins or until cooked.
5. Remove cake from oven and invert the pan onto a wire rack and leave it to cool completely.
From @shihlinsnackssg today is this Merry CRISPmas Platter that comprises of 4 Signature goodies from Shihlin, including the Crispy Oyi-shi Mushroom that has made a comeback due to popular demand and will only be available exclusively with this platter. 🥢On top of that, the Signature favourite XXL Crispy Chicken, Sweet Potato Plum Fries and Seafood Tempura are also packed in the convenient festive platter box along with four drinks of your choice. 🇹🇼 So no worries even if Taiwan has not opened up to us yet, at least for now we can still cave into these Taiwanese street snacks anytime we desire locally. 🥂🎄These savoury snacks make great accompaniment for sharing and with the upcoming Christmas cheer, the Merry CRISPmas Platter will be offered at S$24.90, a good over 20% discount from the usual price with AMK/ NEX outlets at $22.90 (with the Elysian Ionized Water). 🎉 Further to that, Shihlin Taiwan Street Snacks will also be giving away the Merry CRISPmas Platter to 2 Lucky Winners on social media ! So do check out their IG page for participation on 06 Dec 2021 !
Stocking up on the Christmas feast as it's always a steal to plan early and enjoy the most discounts at this time !
What's more given the fluid situation we're currently facing, nothing beats the celebration of the festive in a safe and joyous mode in the comfort of your own home sweet home. And here's my stash from @swissbutchery today because their sausages are one of my favourites.
🍗 Swiss Butchery Set B ($58.00)
🥩 Mirin & Sake Kurobuta Ham Whole 800g ($45.00)
🌭 Cheesy Chicken Sausage 400g ($10.00)
🍰 Cream Cheese Strawberry Sudachi (800g) ($69.00) 🎄The Christmas offerings by #SwissButchery has been put together by a master butcher with over 10 years of culinary experience and they have also since extend their festive sets to include some traditional must-haves such as the Japanese sushi platters.
👍Hence you can essentially order and cater to everyone's favourites on a single platform. And from now till 17th Dec 2021, Swiss Butchery is also having some amazing festive promotions both online & in-store ! They include :
🎉 $20 off all Christmas cakes with any purchase
🎉 1-FOR-1 Mirin & Sake Korobuta Ham (800g) ($45.00)
🎉 1-FOR-1 Cheesy Chicken Sausage (400g) ($10.00)
with T&Cs apply. 📱So do check out Swiss Butchery’s Christmas catalogue and order online via https://swissbutchery.sg/.
Our dim-sumlicious feast from @souprestaurantsingapore today ! A nostalgic teahouse concept by #souprestaurantsg is serving up a medley of handmade Nanyang dim sum along with some of Soup Restaurant #comfortfood has specially curated a delivery menu featuring their Top 10 dishes meant for up to 5 pax, at S$98 nett available exclusively on https://teahouse.souprestaurant.com.sg. Some of their must-trys include the :
🥢Signature Samsui Ginger Bao, made from scratch using fresh chicken paired with Soup Restaurant’s Signature Samsui Ginger Sauce.
🥢Char Siew Bao
🥢Double-Boiled Snow Fungus with Ginkgo 📍Teahouse by Soup Restaurant is located at IMM (# 01-101) and Century Square (# 01-20). #teahousebysouprestaurant
15-min dry tossed noodles with fish dumplings and meatballs + soup for quick lunch earlier. 🤤 For the soup :
250ml chicken stock
3 slices of ginger
1 tsp Tianjin 冬菜
1 tsp light soya sauce
2 tsp Huatiao wine
Few pinches of pepper
Some fish dumplings
Some @liondancebrand handmade meatballs with sole fish (👍 can only be purchased online)
Some diced scallions (for garnish) For the noodles:
1 serving of thin noodles, blanch in boiling water till loosen, drain and rinse over cold water briefly For the noodles sauce:
2 tsp 老干妈 chilli oil
2 tsp chilli sauce
1 tsp light soya sauce
1/2 tsp dark soya sauce
1 tsp shallot oil
2 tbsp of the soup
Cooked yummy Taiwanese style Braised Meat rice 台式卤肉饭 today which literally nailed the spot, probably even better than the ones sold commercially ! Ingredients (serves 1-2) :
100g pork belly
70g minced pork
1 1/2 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp dark soya sauce
1/2 tbsp Abc sweet sauce
1 tbsp rock sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cinnamon stick
2 cardamon seeds
Pinch of cinnamon powder
Pinch of pepper
2 small cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp cooking oil
Some hardboiled eggs Method:
1) Blanch pork belly in boiling water and drain. Rinse with cold water before cutting into small sliced cubes. 2) Heat up cooking oil and saute crushed garlics till lightly brown. Add in minced meat and pork belly cubes and stirfry briefly. 3) Add in all the sauces, pepper and rock sugar and stirfry to mix well. 4) Add in water followed by the rest of the spices, garlic and cinnamon powder. 5) When the sauce boils, add in eggs. Reduce heat to low, cover pot and allow to simmer till sauce is reduced to half. Turn the eggs in between to ensure evenly browned. 6) Skim away the oils on the surface of the sauce and serve hot with rice to enjoy !
From @catercosg by @neogardencatering today are some of these Yuletide Feasting Sets specially curated for the upcoming Christmas season ! Each dedicated festive meal set is a fuss-free 5-course meal put together which begins from a salad appetiser to a grand staple, followed by a filling protein along with an Ocean's catch all the way to a dessert palate. All neatly packed and endorsed in a classy packaging box. Prices begin from $26.75 per set and some of their Signatures include the : 1️⃣ Chiron - Cosmopolitian Set that comes with :
🍱Kale Caesar Salad
🍱Roasted Pumpkin Herb Rice
🍱Grilled Hawaiian BBQ Chicken with Pineapple
🍱Baked Fish with Charred Tomato Relish
🍱Christmas Trio Cake Platter (Mocha, Red Velvet & Ondeh-Ondeh) 2️⃣ Love Joy - Cosmopolitian Set includes :
🍱Grape, Tomato & Cream Cheese Salad
🍱Creamy Corn & Spinach Penne Pasta
🍱Balsamic Glazed Chicken with Raisin Salsa
🍱Herb Crusted Snapper with Tomato Basil Cream
🍱Christmas Trio Cake Platter 3️⃣ Machholz - Fusion Set
🍱Smoked duck salad with orange dressing
🍱Signature Kampong Dry Laksa
🍱Chilli Crab Prawn with egg beancurd
🍱Herb Crusted Snapper with Italian Gremolata
🍱Christmas Trio Cake Platter 🌐Full menus and ordering can be found on https://www.caterco.com.sg
Cooked yummy Prawn Noodles Soup today. Used more than 2kg of prawns shells to prep up this really rich and tasty soup ! Also used pork ribs, crushed garlics, fish sauce, light soya, rock sugar, freshly grind pepper & salt and garlic powder to season the soup. 🤤
Craving for a good Tom Yum Soup recently and finally garnered some fresh ingredients to cook up a Seafood Tom Yum Rice Noodles. It was awesomely good ! Happy TGIF ! Ingredients :
1 pack of Tom Yum Set including 2 lemongrass, 1 Galangal root, 4 green chillies, 2 stalks lime leaves, 2 shallots, 1 lime
1 tbsp tom yum paste
1 tbsp evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp fish sauce
2 tsp cooking oil
250ml chicken stock
Some prawns, squids, scallops
Some baby corns
120g rice noodles Method:
1) Add cooking oil to pot and saute shallots and lemongras till fragrant. 2) Add in water and chicken stock and ingredients from Tom Yum set except for the lime. 3) Cook till it boils before adding tom yum paste and fish sauce. 4) Allow it to simmer a little while more before draining away the tom yum ingredients. 5) Cook the mushrooms, baby corn and seafood. In another pot, blanch the rice noodles in boiling water. 6) Add the noodles to bowl along with the cooked seafood and mushrooms. 7) Add evaporated milk and allow it to boil again. Squeeze the juice of half a lime to the Tom Yum soup and off the flame. Pour the soup over the noodles and seafood and serve hot immesiately to enjoy !
Nothing beats the aroma of freshly baked bread from home. So made some of these old-school Red Bean Buns, including the red bean paste from scratch. Loved that the homemade red bean paste isn't too sweet and is preservatives free. Using a straightforward sweet bread dough method for the buns simply by combining everything to knead which yields a really good result and bread stays soft even on the 3rd day. While the red bean paste was prepped before-hand and stored which the recipe can be found on the blog as well. Recipe for sweet bread dough :
200g bread flour
50g plain flour
5g milk powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp instant yeast
40g butter 200g homemade red bean paste, rolled into 15g balls each
Balance 1/2 egg for egg wash Method:
1) Add all ingredients except butter into mixing bowl and beat till a smooth dough is formed. 2) Add butter and continue to beat till the dough can be stretched to a fine thin layer. 3) Cover with a damp cloth for approx 45mins till it doubles in size. 4) Punch down the dough and divide it into 80g each portion. Cover and set it aside for another 20 mins. 5) Grease and line the bottom of an 8 inch round pan. Divide the bread dough into 30g each and wrap in a red bean paste ball. Seal the edges by stretching the dough and fill up the entire pan, with a gap of approx 1cm between each bun. 6) Cover the pan and allow the buns to expand and rise till the entire pan is filled up, approx 40mins. Egg wash and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. 7) Bake in pre-heated oven at 170 degrees C for approx 12-15mins or till all golden brown. Leave to cool slightly before removing buns from pan.