The addition of corn flour had made the cake more tender and softer in texture. The previous time I made this, my sister commented that they prefer the colouring to be more greener. So this time round, I added in extra drops of green paste colouring.
Bake it and savour on this delightfully soft pandan chiffon cake !
Recipe adapted from PA Richard Goh Baking Class Stage One
5 egg yolks
20g pandan juice
60g coconut milk
50g corn oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
35g corn flour
5 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1. Beat egg yolks and sugar at maximum speed for about 1 minute.
2. Mix pandan juice, coconut milk and corn oil and add into egg mixture at slow speed.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and corn flour into egg mixture and whisk briefly until well blended.
4. Whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar until stiff.
5. Add part (A) into meringue and stir well until batter is smooth flowing and glossy.
6. Pour into 21cm chiffon mould and bake at 180 degrees C on the lowest rack, for about 40-45 minutes. To test for doneness of cake, bake until cake rises high and then starts to shrink.
This cake must be delicious with coconut milk! Can I have one? :)
very pretty pandan chiffon! I heart! ;)
Is the flour plain flour or cake flour? Pandan chiffon cake is my all-time favourite. :D
ah Tze and Cathy ~ Thanks for your compliments !茄子 ~ 是呀！我这才发现加了少许的玉米粉可以使戚风蛋糕更柔软！hanushi ~ The flour is plain flour. And the addition of some corn flour will make the cake more soft and tender !
Hi, I would like to try this pandan chiffon. For the pandan juice, is it make from pandan essence or pandan paste?
Hihi Joyce! The pandan juice is extracted from pandan leaves by cutting them into small pieces and grinding it in a mixer with some water and filtering away the leaves thereafter, leaving the juice for use.
Thanks for the prompt reply. If I don’t have pandan leaves, can I replace the pandan juice by plain water? To beat the egg white till stiff, is there a need to add corn flour to it? Thanks
Yes, u can replace with water together with pandan essence/extract. Otherwise, there won’t be any pandan taste at all.
No need to add corn flour to beat the egg white till stiff.