Spicy, sweet and deliciously savoury is how I gonna described this dish. The sauce infused well into the chicken during the stewing and the thick luscious sauce makes a good gravy topping for the rice ! The mom even commented that the sauce is really good and she had it well with the rice alone, even without the chicken.
I really wish I can be cooking on a full time basis nowadays.. LOL. But well, I think that’s quite far fetched a dream for me at the moment. So well, sometimes I quite envy those with a complete family where you can cooked for all your loved ones and seeing their satisfied tummies and happy faces at the end of the meal. Of course, I also understand everyone lives’ are different so if God has meant for me in a different note and going through an extraordinary path, I will take it in my stride and live on. Whether or not things will work out in my favour, I am not sure but as long as I press on, I believe things will definitely turn out for the better. So am trying to stay positive as much as possible !!
Turning to cooking or baking is a solace nowadays, but perhaps without the washing up ! Haha ! Hence, one pot and generally straight forward cooking has to be the way. This Szechuan Styled Stewed Chicken legs fits all the bill and certainly lives up to the expectations.
Get your fresh whole chicken legs from PurelyFresh online to whip up this pleasantly enjoyable dish today !!
- 2 whole chicken legs
- 1½ tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped shallots
- 2 tbsp minced garlics
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onion (with more for garnishing)
- 5 dried chillies, diced
- 250ml water
- 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorn
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- ½ tsp pepper
- 25g rock sugar
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- ¾ tbsp light soya sauce
- ½ tbsp dark soya sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- Make a few slits on the chicken legs and rub the marinade ingredients all over and set them aside in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Heat up a wok with the cooking oil and add the chopped ginger, shallots, garlics, spring onions and dried chillies. Saute till aromatic.
- Add in the water.
- Add in all the seasonings ingredients. Stir to mix well.
- Allow the sauce to simmer till it boils before add in the chicken legs and lower the flame.
- Cover the wok and allow the chicken to simmer in it for 20 mins.
- Remove the cover and flip the chicken over. Allow the chicken to simmer for another 25 to 30 minutes till the sauce is reduced and thickened.
- Garnish with more diced spring onion and serve hot.