As the name implies, this cake looks and tastes as light as an angel !! Looking very “angelic” and pure, this cake is bound to win the hearts of fans who are in search of soft tenderly cakes like myself !! As compared to chiffon cakes, angel cake uses only egg whites and hence, they are even lighter in texture.
And because fresh fruits ingredients are used in the making of this cake, the citrus taste is pretty prominent and refreshing. In fact, I quite adores the way the cake is being presented after baking. The pretty flat tops and purely white texture is certainly some eyes pleaser !
And without the use of egg yolks, this cake certainly has some calories savings attempts too ! LOL. So when life gives you devils, have a perfect angel cake ! Well, I definitely am going through some dry patches in life now, hence this angel cake is here to give me a boast just in time !! ^-^
Get your fresh fruits and other ingredients from PurelyFresh online to enjoy this angelic looking cake !!
- 60ml fresh milk
- 60ml fresh orange juice
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 70ml canola oil
- 100g cake flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 75g sugar
- 6 egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp orange essence (optional)
- Combine the milk, orange juice, grated orange rind, canola oil and cake flour together in one bowl and stir till the batter is smooth. Set aside.
- Add the egg whltes and cream of tartar to a mixing bowl. Starting on low speed, beat the egg whites till foamy. Add the sugar gradually until all is used up before turning the speed to medium high.
- Continue beating the egg whites till stiff peaks are formed.
- Add the beaten egg whites to the batter from Step 1, in 3 additions. Using a spatula, fold in the egg whites gently until all are well combined. Spread the mixture into a 8-inch baking tin that's lined with parchment paper at the bottom of the tin.
- Bake at 160 degrees in a pre-heated oven for 35 minutes or until cooked when a skewer inserted comes out clean. When the time's up, off the oven and open the oven door slightly ajar for 10 minutes before removing the cake from the oven.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack before removing it from the tin. Allow it to cool completely before slicing and serve.