This dish definitely marks the countdown of the Christmas festive !! I attended a cooking demo by McCormick recently and was kindly blessed with some of their best sellers. And I must say it really coincide with my plans to roast a chicken the following day. Although we all knew that turkey is a must have during Christmas, but because no one in the family favoured turkey at all, so we have the menu altered to replace it with a whole chicken instead. And with an overnight marinate with a fair bit of McCormick seasoning and spices, plus a 35 minutes or so of air frying time, a very fragrant and deletable roast chicken is ready to be devoured.
I was really glad to see that the whole chicken was beautifully roasted with an even golden brown shade of hue. Because I vividly remember my first whole chicken roasting was quite a pain with uneven colouring and a super long air-frying time despite the taste being really good. But this time, it’s not only pretty to look at, having shorter roasting time and taste being awesomely succulent and the juices were well retained as well.
I think I do have quite a fair bit of McCormick herbs and spices, because I much adored the intensity and aroma of them. In particular, their garlic and onion powder are two of my most frequently used seasonings in my kitchen. These seasonings also greatly shortened much of the preparation time for cooking and provide an equally good amount of fragrance into our home cooked dishes.
And instead of using the grill pan for the air fryer this time, I lay the whole chicken entirely on the wire rack to be roasted instead. And this somehow results in a very uniform tone as air circulation is able to reach every part of the chicken as compared to when you are resting the chicken on the pan itself and you would probably need the extra hindrance to remind yourself to flip the chicken on the other side during the half roasting time or so.
Brushing it with a layer of honey, I allowed the roasted chicken to lay in the still hot air fryer after roasting to allow for the honey to be slightly absorbed into the chicken skin before removing it to serve. This gives the Roasted chicken an even healthier and beautiful golden brown tone.
Get your fresh whole chicken from PurelyFresh online today to prepare this Christmas Roast Chicken in in celebration for the festive !
Merry Christmas in advance to all and may everyone enjoy feasting on this merry making day !!
- 1 whole chicken, approximately 0.8-1kg
- 10 pcs garlic
- 1 small red onion, cut into quarters
- 3 pcs whole bay leaves
- 2½ tsp mixed herbs/Italian seasoning
- 2½ tsp garlic powder
- 2½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- Wash and clean the chicken well. Pat the chicken as dry as possible using paper towels. Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the garlics, red onion and bay leaves. Stitch up the cavity using toothpicks. Rub and massage all the rest of the ingredients (except the honey) all over the chicken. Set aside the chicken overnight in the fridge.
- Air fried the chicken on the rack at 180 degrees C for approximately 30 minutes or until cooked. Remove the chicken and using a pastry brush, brush the honey all over it. Bring the chicken back to the still hot air fryer and leave it in for another 5 minutes.
- Serve the roast chicken with fries or salad as desired. Enjoy !
2) Apply the honey too early will cause it to burn easily if air fried for too long. Hence, it is last applied and using the remaining heat of the air fryer to allow it to be absorbed onto the chicken skin.