Made this very comforting Pumpkin Spinach and salmon porridge sometime back and thought it would be good to share here too. I quite like this porridge because it’s very versatile and healthy. Eliminate the salmon and you will get a vegan dish. Eliminate the ginger and you have a kids’ friendly meal. I am none of the above so I have everything all in.
It’s also a very delicious and healthy porridge that uses very minimal seasoning as the pumpkin provides for the sweetness of the dish whilst spinach add to the green-ness alongside with healthy salmon cubes. The colour of this dish is very brilliant too and makes it look very appetising.
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- 200ml chicken stock (or vegetable stock if for vegan)
- 400-500ml water
- ½ tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp shallot oil
- Pinch of pepper
- 150g salmon cubes, season lightly w salt (omit if for vegan)
- 3-4 bunches of spinach, cut into sections
- 2 tbsp sweet corn
- 80g pumpkin, cut into chunks
To serve with (optional) :
- Shredded ginger/scallions
- Fried shallots
- Fried fritters
- Add the rice, pumpkin, water and chicken stock, shallot oil together and cook till rice softened and pumpkin mashed.
- Add minced ginger.
- Add pepper. Mix well.
- Adjust w more water if necessary to cook till desired porridge texture.
- Add sweet corn. Taste and adjust w seasoning if desired (I didn't add any though !)
- Add spinach.
- And lastly, add salmon cubes. Off flame and serve.
- Top w shredded ginger, scallions and serve w fried fritters and fried shallots.