Hola !! Finally penning a recipe again. Actually I posted this earlier in IG but didn’t really pen out the recipe coz I was lazy ! LOL. Furthermore, this was purely done with the rice cooker, hence no skills is needed. But I thought the pictures taken was really decent, so I’ll like to include a nice post for this dish in the blog ! Haha!!
- 800ml chicken broth (can be replaced with just water and adjust with seasonings to taste)
- Some water
- ½ cup rice
- 80g shredded chicken breast (if you are not using those from roast chicken, you can simply blanched the chicken in boiling water too.)
- 2 tsp concentrated chicken stock
- 2 tsp shallot oil
- Pinches of salt & pepper (optional)
- 1 century egg, diced
- 1 fried fritter, cut into small rings
- To Serve with :
- Spring onion, chopped
- Fried shallots
- If making own chicken broth, use leftover bones from roast chicken, add water and simmer over stove top for approximately 1.5 - 2 hours, topping up with more water as it dried out.
- Add rice into rice cooker pot and add chicken broth until the desired porridge markings on the rice cooker pot. Stir in the shallot oil too.
- When porridge is cooked, add in concentrated chicken stock and stir well. Add in salt and pepper too if using and mix well.
- Add in shredded chicken breast and close the rice cooker. You can also add in the century egg at this point if you like. Set aside for another 15 mins.
- Serve congee with fried fritters, spring onion and fried shallots.
Important : Stir the congee constantly after it has started to cook to prevent it from sticking and buring out at the bottom of the pot.
It will take more than an hour of simmering to reach such desire texture if cooked over the stove.