Shiok shiok weather these days call for a pot of piping hot porridge ! So here comes a real delicious Pumpkin Seafood Porridge that not only looks so delectable but also taste absolutely yummy ! The lovely hue from the pumpkin blended so well with the porridge, making it look so luscious and velvety smooth, isn’t it ? LOL.
And because the chilling weather was that comforting, so the serving of seafood was pretty generous too with a good amount of prawns, scallops, crab meat, fish slices, etc etc.
Not sure if anyone of you enjoys porridge like how I do, I love my congee to be kind of thick and sticky instead of watery, yet still with a bit of grainy. So usually I will try to cook it till my desired consistency which is what you see. And it usually takes around an hour plus or so, with constant stirring as this texture of congee will stick and get burned out easily at the bottom of the pot, if it’s not stirred constantly.
Other than that, cooking a desired congee is thereby quite effortless. Simply combine the stock and water with the rice, some seasoning to taste, and whatever ingredients desired, served it with lots fried shallots, a healthy and very comforting congee is pretty much easily achievable.
And I am treasuring the cool days whilst it last with lotsa comfort foods for now ! Soups, porridge and spice, all that that are best served in this weather !! Especially I can enjoy all these food peacefully without sweating all over like mad.
So here’s a quick and easy Pumpkin & Seafood Porridge’s recipe in line to share !
- 300ml stock (can be store bought/home cooked)
- 400ml water
- ¾ cup rice, washed
- 350g pumpkin, cut into small parts
- 1 tbsp shallot oil
- 4-5 pcs prawns
- 20g crabmeat (I used frozen ones)
- 4-5 pcs scallops
- 5-6 pcs fish slices (I used Toman fish fillet slices)
- 5-6 pcs abalone slices (I used imitation abalone slices known as 贵妃片)
- ¼ tsp pepper
- salt to taste (if necessary)
- Microwave the pumpkin with some water at 800W for approximately 5-6 minutes until they turn soft.
- Mashed the pumpkin with the back of a spoon until they resemble puree liked.
- Add the stock, water, shallot oil and rice in a pot and cooked on medium heat.
- Once the water starts to boil, add the pumpkin puree from Step 2 and mix it well with the rice.
- Stir constantly and continue cooking until the rice turns soft. Adjust with more water if necessary to cook rice porridge till desired consistency. (I took around 1 hour+. for my desired texture.)
- Stir constantly throughout the cooking. Add the pepper, salt (if using), crabmeat and mix well.
- Just before serving, add the prawns, scallops and fish slices. Cook till all the seafood are done before removing from heat.
- Serve hot immediately with fried shallots.