It’s been pretty long since that’s such a chilled weekend, with almost non-stop of drizzling rain. And also since long since I did not had any air-con or fan on whilst sleeping. LOL. That goes to show how “precious” such cool weather is in our utmost humid conditions.
The crave for something hot and spicy is quite empowering, isn’t it ? For spice lovers like myself, I actually made do this dish with a plain congee. And surprisingly, it was marvellously good ! In fact, I wish I had cooked the larger piece of stingray because my congee was too much and there wasn’t enough “料” to complete the meal.
Most of the times we are driven to prepare stingray by grilling it with sambal chilli sauce. Well, here’s one which is exceptional and that can be easily replicate from home. The only regret is I couldn’t blend the spicy paste fine enough as my blender wasn’t that capable to begin with and my portion was a bit too little for a full good blend. So for the most ideal cooking portion is often when you are cooking for a good load of folks.
Most of the people will often add a good serving of ladyfingers, eggplants or long beans to their hearts’ desire to make a one pot dish. But I had none of the mentioned, so make a guess of what I included this time ? —- Pan fried tofu ! Surprisingly, it goes on pretty well with the hot & spicy assam sauce too !
Time flies, and we are fast approaching the end of the year once more. And a new challenge will await me once again in the forthcoming month. I am getting all the chillness and relaxation I can get during this period so that I can embrace and chiong all the way thereafter ! In the meantime, I guess I will be cooking a bit lesser than usual.
Till then, enjoy this yummylicious Hot & Spicy Assam Stingray for all its goodness ! And do get your fresh stingray from PurelyFresh online to whip up this dish today !
- 1 piece stingray, approx 150g
- ½ tomato, cut into wedges
- ½ onion, cut into wedges
- ½ box of tofu (optional, pan fried till golden brown if using)
- 2 pcs assam slices
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp assam paste mixed with 150ml water, drained away the assam seeds
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 30g shallots, sliced
- 10g blue ginger, sliced
- 5-6 pcs dried chillies, diced
- 1 chilli, diced
- 1 lemongrass, diced
- Blanch the stingray in some boiling water till it's cooked and turn white in colour.
- Blend the shallots, blue ginger, dried chillies, chilli and lemongrass together with some water and abit of oil to form into a smooth paste.
- Add one tbsp of oil to a wok and add the paste from the previous step. Stir and cooked till fragrant and the oil splits.
- Add in the assam water, assam slices, sugar and salt. Cook till it boils.
- Add in the stingray fish and pan fried tofu or any vegetables if using, for a further 10 minutes.
- Add in the onion and tomato wedges and cooked till they are softened.
- Remove from heat, garnish as desire and serve hot.