Have been sick for the past week and was trying my best to go on a light diet as much as possible. And it was only until yesterday that I attempted to eat some rice again. Prior to that, it was pretty much soupy, congee or porridge. Hence, to make my meals more appetizing, I tried to locate dishes that I could go along with the plain congee so that it could lift up my appetite and spirits. So one of such dishes is the Fermented Black Beans with Minced Meat.
In fact, this is such a simple and homely dish that could be done up in probably less than 15 minutes. But it was so tasty and went on so well with a plain congee that I actually finished up the entire plate all to myself. It gives the otherwise bland and bitter taste buds from the medication such a boast that I felt hearty and warm immediately after the meal.
Whenever I have Teochew mui (congee), my favourite dishes are pretty standard. It’s either the Sesame Oil Chicken, Stir fried cabbage that have been simmered till tender and soft like the one below, any kinds of cooked eggs or this particular Fermented black beans with minced meat dish. These are old school kinds of home cooked dishes that never fails to delight and make one feels much at home.
Whilst these are generally not difficult to stir up dishes, they make such good homely affairs meals that could go along with a plain rice or porridge. Though I learnt that some people will actually include tomato sauce into this dish, I find that this is essentially not necessary. With an appropriate amount of fermented black bean and some spice from the chili padi, this dish is ideally all good to go.
Finally, I am embarking on a short trip to Hong Kong once again ! It will be another no frills, no itinerary trip once more for the purpose of it all is just to chill and relax, hence doesn’t want to fuss myself too much over a disciplined itinerary to stick to. In the meantime, enjoy this humble and homely dish as the cooling year end weather makes congee and porridge meals very appropriate for the season.
Grab some fresh minced meat and other groceries from Purelyfresh online for all your cooking needs today ! Enjoy !!
- 150g minced meat (pork / chicken)
- 1½ tbsp fermented black beans paste
- 1 chili padi, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- ¼ tsp dark soya sauce
- 100ml water
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- some sugar (optional)
- some spring onion, diced (for garnishing)
- Heat up a wok with the cooking oil. Stir fry the minced garlic, ginger and chili padi until fragrant.
- Add in the fermented black beans paste and saute briefly to mix well.
- Add in the minced meat and stir to mix well.
- Add the water and dark soya sauce and simmered till the water boils. Taste and adjust with some sugar if you find it too salty for your preference (as different brands of fermented black beans may differ in saltiness. However, I did not add in any as I find mine was relatively ok for my liking.)
- Off the flame and garnish with some diced spring onion. Serve hot with congee or rice.