As I always say, you can never go wrong with anything salted egg yolk ! So is this one too ! In fact, I did a 2 variations of it, one using the usual white tofu, and this time with the egg tofu. And I much much like the egg tofu better. For one, the egg tofu is easier to deep fried because of the lesser water content, especially when you are deep frying from home where the heat from our flame is not as hot as the commercial ones. For a second, the egg tofu, after deep fry, is still tenderly soft on the inside yet with a brilliant golden brown hue on the exterior.
In fact, salted egg yolk dishes aren’t difficult to prepare at all. All you need are some real salted egg yolks compiled with chili padi, curry leaves and garlic, you are all good to go. And I didn’t even include any seasoning in this dish because the salted egg yolks already provide for the savouriness, the slight twinge of spice from the chili padi, and the fragrance from the curry leaves.
And because it was the Mid-Autumn festival earlier, there were many places that actually sell the ready salted egg yolks which have been pre-cooked. I took the chance to grab some though not for making mooncakes, but for beefing up more salted egg yolk dishes. So it was a real breeze cooking this dish as I need not fuss with the raw egg which requires washing away of the mud and and steaming the egg yolks thereafter and ending up with an abundance of unused salted egg whites as well.
Hope this dish will appeal to all salted egg yolk lovers once again ! Enjoy !!
- 1 pkt egg tofu, cut into thick slices
- 3 salted egg yolks, coarsely mashed (if using uncooked ones, to steam before use)
- 1½ tbsp planta margarine
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 chili padis
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- some oil for deep frying
- Heat up some cooking oil in a pot till very hot. Deep fry the sliced tofu in the hot oil in batches. (Note: The tofu will turn golden brown quickly if the cooking oil is hot enough, so keep a watch out for it ! Once the tofu starts to turn golden brown, remove and drain, otherwise the tofu will lose moisture and turns dry.)
- Drain the deep fried tofu on some paper towels to remove excess grease and set aside.
- Heat up a wok with the planta margarine. Add in the minced garlic, chili padi and curry leaves. Saute till fragrant.
- Add in the salted egg yolks and allow it to sizzle until foamy.
- Add in the deep fried tofu from Step 2. Stir gently to mix well.
- Off the flame and serve hot immediately.