I really like this lemon chicken which resembles very much like the one we have at the economical rice stall. Super crispy chicken coupled with a refreshing sweet lemon-ey sauce drizzle over the chicken but not in anyway affecting the crunchiness of it all.
And I was a bit surprised the sauce isn’t that tough to replicate and the crispiness and texture of the deep fried chicken wasn’t compromised in anyway too. In fact, I did a two versions of it, “pop corn” chicken style and also the chicken chop way.
The often ones we saw from the economical rice stall are mainly the chicken chop style where we get one whole piece of boneless chicken leg by itself. However, I realised the “pop corn” chicken was equally good if not better. Because they are so bite sized, hence they can be easily finished up without effort.
I did a double frying of the chicken and coupled with potato starch flour, that’s how I managed to get the desired crispiness of the chicken and I realised the crisp stays on even after the sauce is added on and it doesn’t cause the chicken to get soggy at all.
Get fresh boneless chicken from PurelyFresh online to cook up this appetising and very tasty dish today !
- 3 pcs boneless chicken leg (you can diced them if you prefer bite size style)
- approx. 60g potato starch flour
- some cooking oil
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 2 tsp corn flour
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1½ tbsp plum sauce
- 1½ tsp sugar
- 150ml water
- 1 tsp custard powder mixed with 2 tbsp of water
- 4-5 slices of lemon
- Marinate the chicken and set it aside in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Heat up some cooking oil in a pot. Insert a chopstick into the pot and if bubbles sizzle around it rapidly, the hot is ready. Coat the chicken pieces with the potato starch flour. Shake off the excess flour.
- Deep fried the chicken in the hot oil till it turn light brown. Do it in batches as this can prevent the temperature of the oil from dropping too much. Remove the chicken and drain. Allows the hot oil to continue heating for another 5 minutes before adding the chicken to it once again and deep fried till golden brown.
- Drain the chicken well on paper towels before cutting them into slices (for chicken chops).
- In another pan, add in all the ingredients for the lemon sauce except for the lemon slices.
- Allow the sauce to sizzle on medium-high heat till it thickens.
- Finish it off with the lemon slices before switching off the flame.
- Drizzle the lemon sauce over the deep fried chicken and serve hot immediately.