I think this soup can easily pass off as shark fins’ soup, isn’t it ?? But it’s not !! LOL. And it is in absolute stark contrast to the shark fins’ soup. It’s wholly made of winter melon and crabmeat and the shredded strands that you are seeing are actually the egg after it is being stirred.
For those who has a cause for concern for having sharks fins’ soup during the CNY, this soup can easily replace that. Not only does the outlook appears similar, but the taste itself is also comparable to the shark fins’ soup. And best of it all, you could easily enjoy this for all the health benefits as winter melon is loaded with several kinds of nutrients.
And best of of it all, the soup is easily prepared in a one pot style and all it takes is some constant stirring to ensure the ingredients do not get stuck to the bottom of the pot and gets burnt out. Thickening of the soup takes around 40 minutes and you can enjoy this soup right from the pot.
This is indeed a perfect soup to make it to the CNY reunion menu. And you don’t really need something expensive or delicate like sharks fins to make the reunion looks prestigious. This inexpensive yet very nutritional winter melon is definitely something that shouldn’t be missed !
Grab your fresh ingredients from PurelyFresh online to cook up this lovely soup for your CNY reunion meal !
- 600g winter melon
- 250g crabmeat (I used frozen one.)
- 1 litre chicken stock (can be home made or store bought)
- 250ml water
- 80g hon shimeiji mushrooms
- 10 thick slices ginger
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp wolfberries
- 5 tbsp cornstarch water
- some pepper
- Blend half of the winter melon into puree and diced the balance half.
- In a pot, add the chicken stock, water and ginger slices and cook on medium high heat till it boils.
- Add in the puree and diced winter melon and stir to mix well.
- Add in the mushrooms and pepper.
- Add in the crabmeat and stir to mix well.
- When the crabmeat is cooked, add in the beaten egg and use a pair of chopsticks to stir it quickly after adding.
- Add in the wolfberries and cornstarch water. Keep stirring constantly until the soup thickens.
- Garnish as desired and serve with some pepper.